Chapter 29 | memories

"No, that's stupid... deities don't exist"

Light looked at himself in the mirror, standing on his floor in the new taskforce building.

"Why do I remember talking about deities? God what happened to my memories the past few months..?"

He sighed, he'd been trying to piece together his memories since he was released. He recalled a moment where he mentally blacked out, and suddenly he barely remembered anything. It was all patchy.

He remembered the entrance exams. He remembered the entrance ceremony, but only the part when he said goodbye to L and met you. He didn't remember meeting L at all. He remembered talking to Misa in is room but didn't remember what they talked about. He remembered the day Misa got taken into custody, but only remembered introducing her to you and L. And of course, his confinement. He remembered being put into the cell,  he remembered L telling him about kira over the speakers. But not anything about saying he could be kira.

But the strangest thing he remembered was him telling Misa that '(y/n) is a love goddess'.

Why did he say that? He barely knew you at that point? Deities didn't exist, right? This one memory was eating him up.

Leaving his room he went upstairs to Misa's, knocking on her door.

"Come in!"

When he entered she lit up upon seeing him.

"Light! Are we meant to have a date today?" She asked.

"Not quite... I need to ask you something"

"Ok?"

He sat down opposite her on the sofas.

"Do you remember talking with me about deities?" He asked.

She thought for a moment, trying to recall anything.

"I do... but it's blurry. Something about (y/n)... love... goddesses? Did she talk to you about mythology one day or something?" Misa replied.

"I honestly don't remember how the conversation started... but I remember telling you she 'was a love goddess' which doesn't make any sense"

"Maybe she told you her real name at some point and it was the same one as a love goddess? Or maybe she talked to you about a video game? I know you can be deities in a few games that came out this year"

"I don't know why but that memory is bugging me so much. I don't remember how the conversation started or ended... but we were in my room talking about (y/n) being a love goddess..." Light replied.

L watched this conversation over the cameras, not amused.

"(Y/n)" he said.

You walked over, looking at the screens over his shoulder.

"What are they talking about?" You asked.

"They've been trying to recall their memories for a few days now. I think that Shinigami told Light you were a deity. Light says he recalls a conversation with Misa where he said '(y/n) is a love deity' but he can't recall why he said it or how the conversation started"

"Shit... he can probably remember that detail because it's not directly linked to the death note. That's why he still knows you're L. Any memory of the book or his crimes linked to it is gone but all the events that happened BECAUSE of the book not directly by the book have stayed. That means Ryuk did let it slip... that apple munching little shit-" you replied.

You could practically hear Ryuks raspy laughter ring in your head. It wouldn't be too much of a problem while the Kira's have no memories. But the fact Light  and Misa know about you with their Kira memories could be bad. Now you really needed to get the notebooks before them. Even if you were more powerful than two humans with death notes, the fact they know about you means they know you have magic items. If they manage to find one they have a direct link to the aether, thus, the chance of becoming a real deity.