Chapter 72 | guard

Standing at the foot of the stairs to the highlands, leaning on the pillars, you waited.

Any moment now.

A few days had passed since the talk with the Yagami family, making it about a week Light has been wandering the astral plane. Every day you waited, killing time by talking about what you planned to do after this was over. Every so often a Kami would come down to see how things were going. Yesterday you got some good news from Apollo. Humans had gotten to into the mythos of you and L that not only were painting made, but full marble statues.

In a museum in the human realm, a statue about 15 metres tall depicting the first time you and L flew together stood.

In the span of a year, you'd found your soulmate, turned them into a deity and played a part in the biggest case known to the universe. In that time witches started using you in their craft, people made paintings, statues, poems, people are worshiping you. At this rate, you and L would break the barrier from normal deity to Kami.

And everything was coming to a screeching halt, as soon as Light shows up. It's over. He's done for. And thus, the case will be. When this is over, you know that the Kami will definitely throw a banquet. An excuse for everyone to celebrate and get drunk off holy wine. You'd proceed to move from the human realm up here, making a life for yourselves as worshipped deities working with humans who seek guidance. L still wanted to solve cases here and there, and when the boys are old enough to work on cases on their own, he'd hand over the title of L to them. You wanted to seek humans needing love and give them a push in that direction. Lonely humans often come to love deities for help, and you want them to feel the way you do with L. You'd gladly help them.

Any moment... it was the beginning of the end.

"What if that dickheads gotten lost in the astral plane?" L said.

"That would be ironic. What's with you and the swearing recently?" You asked.

"I guess I'm just exited, loosing my formality. I'm so exhausted from this case and so full of rage I'm ready for this to be over"

"You and me both. When his soul gets taken away you know what we should do?"

"What?"

"Pass the fuck out in bed and sleep for a week straight" you said.

"Oh my god that sounds like actual heaven" L sighed.

"Then we go to the banquet that'll definitely happen, get drunk, maybe some victory sex... THEN we can worry about wrapping up loose ends like getting the boys back to wammys, letting the yagamis see their damned son one last time etc"

"Sounds like a plan I can get behind"

You were about to speak again when you were cut off by the sounds of horns coming from the top of the stairs in the distance. He's arrived.

That rat bastard is somewhere in the aether, and the Kami can sense his presence and are alerting you.

"Let's hunt him down-" L said.

You put your arm out in front of him to stop him walking off.

"Not yet. We can't leave the stairs unattended, he can't get up here. Plus, don't you wanna have a dramatic reveal where he sees you're a deity for the first time?" You replied.

"...yeah you're right. Where do you think he is?"

"I know there's a communal rip in the town centre but that'd be too crowded and he'd be spotted. Maybe somewhere in the ambrosia orchid... either way they're both close by. Stay alert"

Hearing foot steps behind you on the stairs, you looked over your shoulder to see hades. Who was coming along in order to take Lights soul to the underworld.

"He's around, keep your eyes peeled" he said.

"We can tell, I bet he'll try and find a way past us" you replied.

"I don't know why he thinks this will work, not like the Kami would let him in anyway" L added.

"He still has Zephs lyre. While it can't kill any of us if he's figured out harming turned he can hurt us" hades said.

You took an arrow from the carrier, loading up the bow eros lent you and keeping your hands ready to pull back the string and shoot at any moment. L held onto his gavel, ready to beat Light to death with it if he had too.

"I thought about bringing Cerberus to just tare him up but someone's gotta guard the gates of the underworld" hades said.

"A hell hound standing among clouds and pure streams with ambrosia leaves falling like cherry blossom petals would be quite the sight" you snickered.

You all scanned the area, backing up onto the steps so at least you had some high ground to look down on him when he showed up. So far, he hadn't. He hadn't exactly been to the aether before so you expected him to now know his way around. But a giant staircase to the highlands is hard to miss.

"What's the plan of attack?" Hades asked.

"He'll probably be using the lyre as a weapon. He'll probably try to kill L but it won't work because he's a god and all. The goal is to shoot his hands and feet so he can't move. L will try to hit the lyre with his gavel so it breaks. We get the death note and the lyre off him and all can do is talk. Of course we won't listen" you began.

"From there once he's down, he gets to say his final words and I'm putting his name in the death note. You can take his soul and the book and it's all over. We'll use a repair spell to fix the lyre so we can give it back to zephyr" L explained.

"It's a plan. Just make sure you block your ears if he does know a harming tune. If you can't hear it, it can't hurt you"

Weapons ready, visions sharp, and guard up. It was go time. Light really thinks he can get past you, his god complex was that big. You had some news for him.

It was sad, pathetically sad that he went through all this trouble really thinking he could get past you. He doesn't stand a chance. No even battle, you would win. Maybe with a scratch or two, but you'd win.

And if by some insane chance he does get you both down, you always have a secret weapon under your robe, you carry if everywhere and no one would think of using it as a weapon, but boy can it pack a punch...