Chapter 41 | first flight

"Damnit I'm never going to get used to this"

"You will, it just takes a while"

It'd been about a month now. While L's wings weren't fully grown they were big enough to fly now. You'd have to pay a visit to a Kami sometime soon, you'd looked at his wing shape and the feather colour and pattern but couldn't figure out what kind of deity he was.

Love deities have what was called a 'heart flare' shape. The top is curved and forms a bit of a heart and the bottom feathers flare out. A pink tinge on the feathers was also present. But L's wings didn't quite match that.

He had the heart curve, but the feathers seemed to have a blue tinge. And instead of a flare, it was more of a point. You hadn't seen wings like that before.

Having to wear shirts with holes in the back was something L was still getting used to. He got tangled in the a lot.

"I understand why you prefer low backed shirts now" L sighed, trying to stuff his wings through the holes.

You pulled them through for him, his feathers were soft, a bit silky. The top was more like down feathers and the bottom was more smooth and strong.

You opened the balcony doors, the night sky illuminating the room. It was time he learnt to fly. You'd been teaching him the right wing strokes ever since he could move them, taught him what to do to glide and turn sharp corners. Now, he just had to get off the ground.

He seemed nervous, watching you strip onto the railing and jump off into the air, hovering at the railing to help him. Taking your hands, he stepped onto the railing, looking down at the massive drop below him.

"Don't panic you'll just freak yourself out. If you fall I'll catch you" you reassured.

His wings hesitantly spread, he took a breath psyching himself up. He'd managed to pick himself up off the floor by a few inches before, but never actually flown, just hovered. The night air was still, no strong wings to push him around.

Wings fluttering, he told himself this was safe. The plan was to have you hold him up until he had a smooth flight and then let go. Like when you're teaching someone to ride a bike.

His feet left the railing, rising to a height enough to glide at.

"See? It's not that bad" You smiled.

"I trust you flying me, I don't know if I trust myself" he replied.

"You'll be ok, let's just start with a lap around the taskforce. We're high enough no one will see us"

Keeping ahold of his hands, you pulled him further away from the railing, picking up speed. He started a little wobbly, trying to find the right wing strokes to go with, but he managed to match yours pretty quickly.

"Thats it, keep it at that. Lean slightly for wider turns" you said.

After a few smooth laps around the taskforce, he was quickly getting the hang of it.

"Ok, I'm gonna let you go-"

"(Y/n)-"

"You'll be fine. Just keep up this pace"

Slowly letting go of his hands, you turned to glide on your back to watch him. He was doing fine, we was freaking himself out over nothing.

"See! You can fly perfectly! Once you overcome the fear it becomes second nature" you smiled.

A stupidly bright smile grew on his face, exited to be flying on his own.

"Hey darling..." you smirked.