Chapter 68 | thin ice

"Zeph I'm getting kind of worried here..."

"It'll... be fine, they'll find us"

The clock was ticking, months getting slim. At this point Misa wasn't fitting into her clothes anymore with her baby belly. It was really any day now... She'd swapped clothes with zephyr, deity robes being much more roomy.

"We haven't heard Light for days... what is he doing?" Misa asked.

"I don't know..." zephyr replied.

"And what about hearing your lyre play at night? He's using it, he's figuring out how to use it!"

"Misa-"

"And I'm getting so close to my due date-"

"Misa"

"We've only heard from them once what if they don't find us before shit hits the fan?"

"MISA!"

She stopped, looking at zephyr with a pained worried look. Zephyr put her hands on Misa's shoulders, looking into her eyes reassuringly.

"I know we're cutting it close on time but by now they would have knocked out most of the locations by now, it's only a matter of time before they find us. And as long as they find is before Light figures out astral travel or rips... we'll be fine" she said.

"But what if he does?"

"He'll either get stuck in the astral plane or if he does make his way to a realm I highly doubt he'd going to get very far with the Kami involved"

Misa pulled zephyr into a hug, they stood in each others embrace. Admittedly, things were getting quite worrying. Zeph knew that even if it took a while they wouldn't be trapped forever. But Misa was human, she didn't know the things deities did, it'd be easy for her to worry easily.

"Look Misa, there's no way Lights going to win this. He might cause some havoc. But there's no way he'll actually succeed. He's a human with a god complex up against the entirety of the deity population. He may have caused the Kami to make it to the verge of waging a war yes, but he won't win this" Zephyr said.

"What's even going to happen when it's all over?" Misa asked.

"His soul will be sent to the underworld for sure. The taskforce will probably need some therapy after this... I'm sure the Kami and shinigami will strike some kind of deal, and we'll be taken up to the aether to have healing gods help us recover from all this. And I'm sure (y/n) and L will end up married at some point after this is over"

Misa sighed, her grip tightening on zephyr. She'd have to admit to herself she'd fallen hard for the girl. This whole almost 9 months locked up together caused them to get close, rely on each other for everything, confide in each other. And even if they didn't know that they were actually soulmates they both knew there was something there.

"Zephyr..." Misa said.

"Yeah?"

"If something goes wrong... just know I appreciate everything you've done for me even after I treated you horribly. I... I love you Zeph"

Zephyr smiled, caressing Misa's cheek.

"Don't be so morbid. It'll all work out, I know it will. You know at first I thought the reason I jumped into action with your pregnancy so fast was because of my death taking my child and life away from me. I mean that's probably a part of it... but the rest was definitely a growing infatuation. You feel so familiar Misa, I'm sure we've shared a past life together. I love you too" zephyr replied.

"You mean it?"

"Of course, I won't ever dream of treating you the way Light did"

Misa smiled, the worry melting away in that moment. If zephyr said it'd be ok, it'd be ok, she knew. Misa knew she could trust an actual deity, especially one in love with her.