FIVE

Unedited.

______________

"What are you doing with this Adeelah? Didn't I warn you all? You don't keep shut I am talking Adeelah!" Abba said in a high pitched voice that made Adeelah flinched. She didn't know what she had done.

"Abba..." She trailed timidly shifting her sight to the content of her drawer.

Adeelah put her hand in the drawer and brought out the satchets of pill.

"This is priton Abba, I take it when I am having cold. This is Ranitidine for my ulcer. And this is for..."

"Shut up there!" He almost smacked his arm on her face especially when he saw how calm she was. Adeelah almost shrug or purse her lips.

"Adeelah!" He warned before he exited the room. Five minutes later he was back with a cane that made her widened her eyes. Abba had never beat her. He had never laid his hand on anyone.

Her heart shook in it's confine for the first time.

"What are you doing with drugs?" He asked.

"Abba, drugs?" She repeated.

"Adeelah," he warned for the second time. Instead of giving him an answer, she pinned him with her blazing eyes. She knew he wanted explanation from her but what explanation would she give him when she had none?

"Excuse me," he told all his wives. Hafsatu groaned angrily before she followed Hajiya Sadiya's back. Abba's red eyes were now melting back to their normalcy. He closed the door behind them and sat by the side of her bed.

"Tell me." He said, this time around calm and slow. It touched the bottom of her heart but still sent a chill all over her system. That was the first time she saw Abba that way.

"Abba nothing else." She swore, opening the drawer and bringing out all it's content to Abba's sight.

"I know you're wondering why I did that. I am not going to beat you Adeelah. I am just trying to make your future bright. Drugs are so destructive." He rose to his feet shaking his head.

Adeelah felt that there was something more to what Abba said. It was as if what he did was triggered by an old memory but what did she know? She dared not to ask even though Abba's demeanor showed that he was open to questions.

One thing about her was she didn't push things. She let things take the pace of their own, she loved to see everything moving all correct and all in accord. She knew she's not a good company keeper since she hardly ask people about what's burdening them.

If they gladly open to her, fine. If they chose to bury their feelings, it was all good too. Because she didn't want to see someone at their breaking point.

Adeelah felt something warm circulating in her blood. It was that type of feeling that she couldn't describe. Maybe it's taking over the chill she felt earlier.

"Drug is so destructive, Adeelah." Abba repeated before he opened the door and limped out. She let out a sigh.

___________

Adeelah's face was all shade of anger. They had written the biochemistry test and the scripts have been brought back by the lecturer. Of course on the day of the test, he didn't stop her from entering the hall. He allowed her to sit even though he recognized her.

Eyes bored onto her paper as she checked everything and saw that she failed all. She didn't even know what to do about it. Adeelah fished out her phone from her bag and entered google. She searched the questions and read everything then compared it to what she has written. She made sure that it was correct apart from the different use of English before she sharply hiked up making her bag to fall on the ground.