FOURTEEN

It's real.
****

"What did you say?"

Ameer asked nervously. When he reached home he gave Hidaya the letter to read it for him. He couldn't read it by himself because he was really scared from the way the manager gave him with a cold look that looked like he's done something wrong.

"You've been promoted. To a director." She said with an off mood, Ameer watched as she kept the paper beside her and continued watching a movie on the television. The gesture glued him to the spot he was standing for few seconds.

He didn't believe what she said and he thought that she was pulling his legs, her attitude washed off his nervousness in a few and soon he peeled his legs from where he stood and marched to the cushion she sat on.

Ameer picked the letter and true to Hidaya's words he had been promoted but he didn't feel anything from the way she looked uncared about the situation.

Sweat began to penetrate out of his body. He used his hand and cleared it before he swallowed a lump.

"Hidaya," he said with an solace-inviting tone. He didn't like her new character at all and he wanted to regain her back by all means. The Hidaya he knew. His Hidaya.

"What?" She asked.

"What have I done?"

She smiled. "Nothing!" She exclaimed.

"Pull it off Hidaya, I am sure something is wrong. Tell me, we will fix it." He besought.

Hidaya smiled again. She had finally saw the truth Mama was showing her. Yester, she looked at the mirror observing her features for over an hour. She got all the looks, the curves and everything a lady would wish to be endowed with. The features were not to be wasted anyhow and owned by a man of a middle-class man like Ameer. She's supposed to be a big man's wife, a man who roll dollars and count his money in six figures and who won't give a damn about whether she took his money or not.

Now she saw the light. She had been in the dark since she fell in love with Ameer, she believed love's blind, in fact she would like to say it's dumb and deaf too because then she didn't understand anything. But this time, she had come to an understanding, she had threw herself into the kind of life she didn't deserve. It's all Baba's fault- he kept showing her that Ameer was a nice man and money didn't matter at all as long as Ameer had something doing to feed her, cloth her and sustain her. Maama had opposed the opinion but then she was only a little kid cocooned in the shells of love. Now the shells have broken and the air of realisation was too overwhelming.

Since the deed had been done-already married to Ameer as per destiny- she would make sure all Ameer's earning went to her, she would make sure he's no length close to anyone that wanted his money or anyone that would collect a penny from him. No woman should be so close to him, even his mother. Because she didn't trust the woman, she might ask Ameer to take a second wife. And she would show less care concerning his affairs, he had to know that she wasn't his mate actually, she just did him a favor by marrying him. And no, she don't want to be divorced like Maama suggested. She needed to stay, having a husband was a blessing.

"There's nothing wrong. What do you see?" She said with the type of smile that Ameer suddenly disliked. It was a sarcastic smile at him.

"Oh Allah." He massaged the space between his eyebrows.

"Hidaya," her hand in the air stopped him from talking.

"Don't talk to me that way, I said there's nothing. Don't you get it?" She asked.

"Fine." Ameer said and left the parlour for her.

Hidaya looked at the path he followed and imprinted in her mind that, that's the kind of Hidaya Ameer would keep seeing for the rest of his life. The two face Hidaya, camouflaged Hidaya.