THIRTEEN

____________

"Adeelah," Haneey called out. Adeelah hummed at her and continued reading her Qur'an. Lately Abba said everyone should make sure they read a chapter of the Qur'an and recite it to him. He didn't press hard, it wasn't memorisation. Just recitation was enough, at least better than sitting just like that. And after individual recitations by everyone including the wives, Malam Ya'u would come and lecture them all. By all, workers in the house included.

The routine started the day before, and Malam Ya'u would come today.

"Ya Adeelah." Haneey said, with a frown. She knew it for the world, if she didn't call Adeelah's name with respect, Adeelah won't listen to her. She's here because she had no other choice if not she would have given up.

"Yes Haneey what do you have for me?" Adeelah marked the place she stopped in her brain. She tilted her lips to a lopsided smile because she knew she got Haneey.

Haneey sat on the bed blinking.

"I can't read this page straight. Yesterday Abba threatened to seize all my gadgets." She said with tears in her eyes. In this century, she couldn't imagine living without internet. And she's pretty sure Abba would do worst than he said.

Adeelah turned off her reading lamp, she placed her Qur'an on the desk before her and sashayed to where Haneey was.

Haneey was Hafsatu's daughter but it didn't matter. She would help Haneey in whatever situation since they were sisters and her mother's attitude won't affect their bond.

"Let's see..." They started reading together till Haneey caught up. The time she finished, Hajiya Sadiya knocked at the door and made a salam even though it was open. They answered her at the same time and she came in.

Adeelah smiled. She loved the woman so much because she knew what was right. Saying salam was something great and what everyone's supposed to get used to. It's said that if you go to a house and made a salam, if you get no answer then don't enter. That's better for you.

"Abba is already out, under the moonlight waiting for all of you, I think he's feeling nostalgic or whatever you call it. I hope you're all ready." She said, bouncing inside.

Haneey stretched a smile. "We are." And they followed her outside.

Five mats have been spread in the balcony with some lamps placed by each edge of the mats. By the front was a chair placed, undoubtedly for Malam Ya'u, the teacher. Few inches away was two different mats for the gents.

Adeelah gulped. This was getting serious and she didn't know the logic behind all those. Why would Abba put them in one place with the workers in the house. God forbid, if they couldn't read well that's how the workers would be laughing at them.

Then she sighted Abba sitting on his rocking chair from a distance. He was going to watch them and possibly smile in pride.

"What do you think about the new chauffeur?" Haneey asked Adeelah as they strolled closer to the mats.

"Talkative is one word for him. What again? He's mad." Haneey whistle a laughter.

"There he is, already sitting. I hope he knows alif." Haneey chriped.

Adeelah rolled her eyes in a manner of nonchalance.

"He claims to. And please drop his topic, okay?" Haneey nodded.

They reached the place and they were the first to come out. Abba saw them from where he was sitting. He walked to the spot they stood wondering which mat was for them to sit. They sighted Salisu leaning by one of the cars in the house. His attention was clearly not with them, his mouth was moving slowly as Haneey spotted. She's just intrigued by the chauffeur despite his odd appearance. She didn't care about his facials maybe someday he would get a cosmetic surgery to remove all the patches on his face or he may decide to leave them. Howbeit was it, he was secretively handsome to Haneey's eyes.