49

Hajiya Sadiya had been noticing Nafeesah for quite some days. She's a good actress in feigning to be happy but the careful mother in her had seen beyond that. Once she's done with the day's chores without bothering Nafeesah with anything, she walked to her room and found her lying on the bed.

Hajiya Sadiya sighted the attractive book title and walked in. Nafeesah was so absorbed in the book that she didn't catch her mother's footsteps.

"What's so special about Schwa by Zeemibs?" She asked, upon sitting by the edge of the bed.

Nafeesah became cognisant of her appearance, she beamed.

"Story of Hadizah and Fahad, mind blowing!"

"Hmm i see, is that why you have been in this room since last night?"

Nafeesah dropped the book. "Last night i read The Halal Way and Classical Muslimah on wattpad. The writers don't even wantto update it." She made a face.

"You're not a good actress though." Hajiya Sadiya remarked.

"Ummah me nayi?" Nafeesah exclaimed in wonder. By Allah she had been faking smiles all about the house and the way her mother noticed it amazed her. But still she didn't want to admit because she wasn't ready to share what's bugging her heart.

Hajiya Sadiya smiled. "This boy Shahid..."

"Ummah what about him?"

"It's been two weeks since i sight him in this house. I am beginning to think that he's not serious with you. It's been how many years?" Nafeesah was panicking when her mother voiced out her thoughts. How could she tell her that she didn't know why he had been behaving so cold these days? And that too, Nafeesah had zero idea of why he did that.

Nafeesah almost hummed out. She wanted to heave first, perhaps she could be able to speak clearly. When her mother's eyes lingered on her, she swallowed a lump.

"Ummah I don't why but he's so distant this days."

Hajiya Sadiya remained quiet for a while. "Have you bothered to ask him why?" From the way Nafeesah looked at her, she knew the answer so she added, "make sure you find out first. In two days. I'm tired of you two, he should make his intentions clear. Just because you two were engaged doesn't give him the chance to keep you waiting this long. You've been engaged for two years now. And..." Hajiya Sadiya left the remaining words to hang in the air.

Nafeesah stayed mute till her mother was out of sight. She knew her mother had been thinking hard about this especially now that she voiced it out. Yesterday Hafsatu threw a sarcastic comment at her showing that it's high time she get hitched. Even Hany had gotten a suitor and here she was with Shahid for almost seven years now. She massaged her head, which was throbbing so hard. She had been with him since she was seventeen and now she's twenty four.

She knew everything was a matter of time but people would hardly understand. They would like to be marriage alarms in her life.

So she braced up and dialed his number. After greetings here and there, he said he would come to see her at seven.

*****

Adeelah was caused to remember her childhood when she tuned the television to cartoon network and Tom and Jerry was shown. She laughed at the scene, remembering that when she was young, she preferred Jerry but now looking it at another perspective, Tom was better. She also realized that Tom and Jerry were best friends not enemies because when one is sick, the other becomes bored. Tom didn't have the intention of eating Jerry all along. But Jerry was always landing him in trouble. Adeelah pondered, alot of people in real life were like Tom.