Preview of Chapter 28

Here's something that I'm working on. Might not be in Chapter 28 in the end, but it is still part of the story.

You have no idea how many new ideas I have for this book. Can't wait for the climax lol.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The crunches underneath his shoes echoed throughout the woods. Leaves rustled and danced with the cold breeze of the night. The moon was nowhere to be found, perhaps it was blocked by the menacing dark clouds which roared and grumbled every now and then. The music of nature was eerie and haunting.

Connor walked along the road of the mud, ignoring the footprints he has left behind. It didn't matter to him. He knew the rebels wouldn't try to come and find him, anyway.

He stopped in his tracks. The cold breeze blew more violently. The skies that cried before once more seemed to be upset, like it was disappointed at what Connor was doing.

Since when does he care about how nature feels? It can shed tears as much as it want and as long as it want.

He wouldn't care.

"Deactivating emotion imitation," Connor spoke, his LED glowed in bright golden yellow. He felt much lighter, yet heavier with the empty feeling inside of him. There was no need to imitate emotions. He is a machine.

"Good job, Connor. It will only be a matter of time before (L/n) and the others get arrested," a voice suddenly spoke. He knew who it was.

He closed his eyes, leaving the world of darkness and silence for his own world— his program. His world changes quickly from scene to scene. From beautiful and paradise-like, to somewhat empty and dying, and to completely cold and deadly. However, this time, it is what it is. His world— his paradise.

Amanda stood there, smiling.

"I couldn't gain her trust for her to come with me. I thought if I kissed her, she would listen," Connor knitted his eyebrows in confusion and frustration. "I suppose love is a much more complicated emotion for me to understand."

"Love isn't an emotion. It's much more complicated," Amanda corrected, sniffing the rose in her hand. The delicate crimson petals shivered under her touch. It had thorns, but it never fazed her. "Which is why even with the new feature that Cyberlife implemented in your program, it is almost impossible for you to imitate it."

Connor's eyes were robotic and dull, just like before. The way he works and talks is eloquent, just like before.

"But what you were going after is right. Perhaps love would have won (L/n) over and make her trust you more, but it can't helped. Having her arrested is still favorable towards us. She wouldn't bother you now," she gave Conner a stern look. The rose, as if startled by her stoic and heartless touch, withered away.

"It's time to resume what you're programmed to do. Focus on your mission, Connor.

In Connor's mind, he cared for his mission and his mission only...

"Yes, Amanda. I won't fail this time."

Just like before.