Prologue

omniscient

Run.

The command kept playing like a loop in her mind. Sensing the danger that surrounded her, her body obeyed and sent a surge of adrenaline, enough for her damaged body to move. The sound of boots and shouts got closer with every minute.  

Her feet hurt with every step she took, the rocks and twigs piercing her skin drawing blood. She wanted to give up and stop, but she'd rather die than go back there. Her energy was gradually waning and the threat loomed over her closer than ever.

Her eyes searched around for someplace to hide in the darkness. She spotted a thick shrubbery, thick enough to hide her small body. She quickly pushed herself through the shrubbery, ignoring the pricks caused from it. She prayed that the specks of blood wouldn't be noticeable, but to her luck, the slight drizzle of rain washed away any evidence.

She curled her body to make sure it wasn't detectable, her breaths coming out in short puffs. The footsteps seemed to be going farther away. Getting out of her hiding spot, she scrambled in the opposite direction of the footsteps. 

Running aimlessly, she stumbled upon a small cottage with smoke coming out of it's chimney, but it seemed too close to town where she was sure they would find her. Running around had drained her energy and having no other option, she walked up to the door and knocked.

Black dots spotted her vision and she was hit with a sudden wave of giddiness due to the hunger and starvation. As the door opened, her legs grew weak and she collapsed.