5

Demi's POV

It's now the next afternoon and we just got done eating a late breakfast in bed when Max brings the dishes downstairs. I decide to finally roll out of bed to do my morning routine in the bathroom then throw on one of Max's shirts and underwear and walk to the balcony in our room. I open the sliding glass door and walk out to see a hot tub on the balcony as well as a gorgeous view looking out to the lake. I soon feel arms wrap around my waist and I smile and lean back into Max's chest.

"You wanna talk to me now and tell me what was bothering you last night?" He asks and I take a deep breath.

"Not really." I answer and I feel him kiss my neck before he unwraps his arms from around me and walks around so he's now facing me.

"I think you should. Whatever it was, obviously was affecting you if you were thinking about it all night." He says grabbing my hand and rubbing the back of it and I sigh and look down.

"I didn't want to ruin your night last night and I don't want to ruin our weekend." I say and he looks to the side then back at me.

"I would much rather you tell me what's going on than have you constantly thinking about whatever happened and be sad about it. I can tell it's been affecting you, whatever it is." He answers and I sigh once again.

"Do you think I hold you back?" I ask looking down at our hands.

"What?" He asks and I look up to see him looking really confused.

"Do I hold you back? Or do me and the kids hold you back?" I ask once again. He immediately shakes his head and pulls me closer to him before wrapping his arms around me.

"Of course you don't. Why would you think that baby?" He asks me as he rubs my back.

"I don't know if you're going to believe me or not." I say pulling away from him and he furrows his brows.

"Why wouldn't I believe you? Baby, what's going on?" He asks me and I take a deep breath and walk around him so I can look out to the water.

"Lizzie came up to me last night and asked if we were done having kids because she wants to send you on a tour and that she wished you never met me cause I'm holding you back from greatness. I also overheard her talking on the phone last night and she said that I have you on a leash." I say and his eyes go wide as I briefly look at him before turning my attention back to the lake.

"What?" He asks and I nod.

"I figured if she thinks I'm holding you back, then it's probably true and you're just not saying anything to keep me happy. Max if I am holding you back though, then let me know. All I want is for you to be happy and if I'm not doing that then I need to know." I say now looking at him and he immediately shakes his head.

"You are not holding me back. Don't think like that, okay? And you and the kids make me the happiest, not my career, not the money, not my successes. You and the kids are all I need and I'll always be the happiest." He says walking over to me and grabbing my hands and I nod.

"The way she was saying it though Max, it's like she wants us to break up or something because you're priority is your family more than your career. Im just looking out for you, because I've been down that road before and no one warned me." I say and he nods.

"I'm scheduling a meeting with her when we get back cause I'm not going to accept that." He says rubbing the back of my hand.

"Okay." I say looking down.

"Wait there's more. What else happened?" He asks lifting my head up by my chin and I feel tears burn at the back of my eyes. "Baby, what's wrong?" He asks caressing my cheek as I take a deep breath before talking.