Chapter 28

A/N: Just a little heads up, I've taken a small part of this song + TBG Reprise. The song is way longer than the amount I use in this chapter. 
That's it! I hope you'll enjoy this chapter!

~Purple Dragon

🐾●°●🐭●°●🐾

"Okay, so... What's the plan?" Myra asked Mal, aware that their original plan wasn't going to work with just the two of them. Lunch was getting restless, squeaking near Myra's ear. He didn't understand why they weren't going with Uma and Harry. So Myra took him in her hands and started patting him softly to calm him down.
     Mal nodded down at the flute that hung beside Myra's waist. "Ready to put all that practice to use?"
     "Pretty sure the practice didn't really did anything." Myra said with doubt in her voice. She wasn't the only one with doubts, but Mal didn't want to show it.
     "Well, that's not true. Now we know what doesn't work you just have to do the opposite of what you did before."  
     The Pied Piper's daughter looked at Mal as if she had gone crazy. "You want me to, what? Stop focusing and just play?"
     "Yeah."
     "That is by far your dumbest idea yet."
     "No, no. Think about it." Mal started. "You've been focusing harder and harder and harder and nothing changes. Maybe you just need to focus less. Relax and put as less force in the magic as possible. Maybe that will channel the flute to just target one person." 
     "Or I'll have, like, no control at all." Mal looked at Myra with pursed lips, not wanting to say the sentence on her mind. But she didn't have to because Myra had realized it herself as well. "Yeah, okay. Never mind. I'll try." 
     A smile came on Mal's lips. "Okay, then I'll distract her and you can sneak up behind her, use the flute and hopefully she'll be asleep before anyone gets hurt."
     A high pitched scream made both of the girls jerk their heads up. It came from the top of the school's tower. "Help me, Mal!" It was Celia's voice, filled with pure terror. 
     "Yeah, save your little friend, Mal!" Audrey, she had Celia trapped op top of the tower. 
     "I think it might be too late for that..." Myra said, scared Celia had already been hurt. But Mal didn't let thoughts like that cloud her judgement 
     "I'll distract her while you climb up the tower."
     "What? Are you mad! I can't climb up a tower, it's way too high!" 
     Mal sighed. "Just use the stairs until you reach the roof, it'll just be a few feet higher from there." She didn't waist any more time and transformed. The purple smoke clouded Myra's vision, she covered her mouth and backed up, putting Lunch inside her breast pocket. Using the cover of the smoke to make her way to the entrance of the school. 
     "Just take the stairs." Myra mumbled in a mocking tone as she ran inside. Only to slide to a stop in the middle of the entrance hall. This place was huge and Myra had never been inside of the school before. Realizing she couldn't just stay there to try and figure it out she started running again. Stairs. She needed to find stairs, or a stairwell. Something that got her higher up. 
     The more she run around the big halls and rooms she realized the school was like the castle. Every room, every hall, looked almost the exact same. The only big difference were the many people in every room who were either turned to stone or fast asleep. 
     Getting desperate she started to pull on every door she found, but most of them were locked or led to a classroom. Finally Myra found a door that said 'Stairwell'. Relieved the girl grabbed the handle and pushed. But the door wouldn't budge. "Ow, come on!" 
     Myra checked if Lunch was still inside her pocket, which he was, and took some steps back. Braising herself for the blow, Myra charged at the door. Her shoulder made impact with the wooden object and it shot open, revealing the square room behind it. The rows and rows of stairs were placed against the walls. Myra Let out a frustrated sigh on seeing how high she had to climb, but then she started running.
     She ran as fast as she could, skipping steps if she had the right speed to jump high enough. The higher she came, the more noise she could hear. Celia screaming in fear, Audrey yelling and laughing and through it all the sound of big, leather like wings pushing against the sky. As she run past one of the windows a bright red light illuminated Myra's skin. At the sight of the dragon's fire she pushed herself even more. Someone could get hurt if she wasn't fast enough.
     Finally, Myra reached the top of the stairwell. She knew the top of the tower was above her, Celia's screams louder now than ever. 
     There was a door that led to the roof, she tried to open it but just like the door at the bottom this one was locked. But unlike the door at the bottom, this door was made out of steel. Myra didn't even have to try to know her shoulder would break before she could force the door open. "Ow no, no, no..." She mumbled, frantically looking around the room for a way to open the door. But instead her eyes fell on the window. Determined not to lose any more time Myra clicked the window open. A sudden wave of wind forced her to shield her face and take a step back.
     There was a alarmed squeak came from Myra's breast pocket as Lunch pulled on her hair. The creature had caught on to what Myra was about to do and he did not agree.
     "It's okay," Myra said reassuringly as she petted the top of his head. "Just stay where you are, we'll be okay." Lunch stopped protesting, but he was so close to her heart that he could feel her frantic heartbeat. He knew she was just as scared as he was.
     Myra closed the one button of her breast pocket to make sure Lunch would be save before she pushed herself up on the windowsill, the strong wind blowing the girl's hair in every possible direction. She felt her body starting to tremble as she looked down. Big mistake. The ground was so far away that even the trees seemed small.
     There was a sharp, high pitched laugh followed by a flash of pink and a loud roar; forcing Myra to look up. Her eyes only found the giant, purple dragon that circled around the tower. Mal's eyes found Myra, immediately changed direction and stopped flying, hovering in the sky on the opposite side of where Myra was. Successfully drawing Audrey's attention away from her.
     Taking one, deep breath, Myra stood up, grabbing the stone of the outside wall of the tower and started to climb. The stones were rough beneath her fingers, but felt sturdy enough. Careful Myra placed one foot inside a small clove in the wall; scraping the last traces of courage she could find inside of her she pulled her last foot away from the steady window and onto the wall. Her heartbeat quickened as her grip tightened. Myra had climbed almost every building and house there was on the Isle, but never this high and never while there was a full out battle between an evil sorcerer and dragon taking place only meters away.
     Myra knew she had to hurry, but she couldn't risk loosing her grip. No one had any use of her when she was dead- except maybe Hades. But she wasn't going to let that happen, especially since her falling ment Lunch falling to his death as well and that would be very bad pet ownership.
     Carefully Myra put her left foot inside another slit, then put her right hand on a higher stone. Her left hand was able to find a small spot inside a hole where some stone had broken off, her fingers hurt as the sharp edges started to break through her skin, but she ignored it. Last was her right foot, which she placed on top of the windowsill that stuck out slightly between the stones.
     Myra was closing in on her goal. With every stone and every pull she got higher and higher. The wind still wildly playing with the strands of her hair, making it hard to see clearly all the time.
     A high pitched scream startled her, making her loose her grip, both her feet slid away and Myra had to bite down on her lip not to scream in fear. Tears filled her eyes as she felt pain shoot through her right hand, followed by a warm liquid dripping down her arm. Myra's breathing quickened and she could feel the adrenaline rush through her as she dangled from the wall, struggling to find a solid place for her feet. She could hear Lunch's distressed squeaking and feel him move inside the tight space of her pocket.
     Groaning with effort Myra pulled her body higher, finally finding a place for her right foot. She placed her left foot on a peace of stone that stuck out, only for it to break off. She heard the stone hit the wall one last time before it fell to the ground. It was so far away and with the wind howling in her ears she couldn't hear it hit the ground.
     Myra was able to find another slid inside the wall for her left foot, a steady one this time. The crackle of electricity could be heard, getting accompanied by a flash of pink light. The girl tried to steady her breathing. She was almost at the top, only a few more feet.
     Sweat trickled down Myra's forehead, the noise of battle was louder than ever now. Fortunately Myra had reached the top, her hand clasped around the top of the tower. The stone feeling smooth for the first time beneath her fingers.
     Careful Myra glanced over the edge, making sure Audrey didn't see her. For the first time luck was on her side, or actually a giant dragon, because Audrey's attention was only with Mal.
     Fast but quietly Myra pulled herself on top of the egde, letting herself slide on top of the tower. Celia, who was huddled up inside one of the corners, spotted Myra first. Her eyes widened with hope, but before she could as much as move Myra placed her finger on her lips to make clear Celia had to stay silent. And for the first time Celia did as she was told.
     "Come on, Mal! You can't beat me!" Audrey screamed, using a big, black staff to send another bolt of pink lightning at the dragon. Mal avoided the blast, but only by an inch. It was the first time Myra saw the princess. She was wearing a pink suit that covered her entire body, pink heels and some sort of cape fell from her hips, a pink corset above it. The entire outfit had black scattered all over, starting at the edges but getting less intense the more it went to the inside. Her hair was long and pink, ending in blue at the curled ends. A golden crown with blue stones was placed on her head. Probably stolen just like the staff that used to belong to Maleficent.
     Seeing her chance, Myra took her flute and brought it to her lips. She remembered Mal's advise and cleared her mind, she didn't force herself to focus on Audrey. Instead she relaxed, looking at the girl and letting her sway through her thoughts, a soft image inside her minds eye. That was when she started to play. Celia covered her ears, scared the magic would affect her as well.
     The flute's melody was soft, but clear and steady. It was hard to make out above the blowing wind, but the magic did it's job. Audrey physically relaxed, she stopped yelling and lowered the staff. "What..." the evil princess mumbled as she slowly turned to the music. Her eyes found Myra, the soft, white glow coming from the flute seemed to hypnotize Audrey. Her eyes also glowing a soft white. Myra glanced over at Mal, who was soaring behind them and saw that the dragon girl wasn't effected at all by the flute's magic.
     Having a boost of self-esteem Myra turned her attention back to Audrey, who was slowly starting to fall asleep.
     Right before Audrey would drop the staff, the green crystal on top of it started to glow as well. The green light became brighter as the magic started to grow. Slowly draining the white from Audrey's eyes. Seeing she was loosing the princess, Myra started to focus harder, putting more volume in the music, refusing to give up yet. But it didn't work. The magic of Maleficent's staff was way more powerful.
     Coming back to her senses, Audrey shook her head, tightening the grip on the staff with both her hands. The princess' eyes scanned over Myra, anger and confusion taking over her features. "Who are you?" She commanded, pointing the staff threatening at the girl.
     Myra still held her flute in both her hands. Looking into Audrey's eyes she recognized something. Behind the rage there was a sad, lonely and broken girl; desperate to get back what she had lost. She recognized a part of herself. 
     Myra opened her mouth to answer, but a loud roar from Mal got Audrey to turn around, just in time to use the staff to deflect a blast of fire. Audrey aimed her staff and send a new lightning blast, this time it hit Mal right at the spot where her right wing was attached to the rest of her body. An agonized scream was heard before Mal started to fall. Audrey let out a high pitched laugh as she ran to the side of the tower, pointing the staff at Mal for one final blow.
     Responding quick, Myra brought the flute to her lips and played again.
     Upon hearing the first notes Audrey turned around with an angry growl. Sending a lightning blast at Myra. It hit her flute, the force snapped the leather straps and swung it over the tower's railing. It didn't fall all the way to the ground, but on the school's roof. Still Myra had no time to even look at her flute because Audrey was now aiming the staff at her again.
     "Stop! Audrey, I know you want revenge but it is not the answer." She spat out, barely giving herself room to breath.
     "And what do you know about it?" The girl in black and pink snarled at her. "You don't know me and you don't know what that bitch did to me!"
     "She took what was yours." Myra said, still talking fast. "She ruined your life. I know because I've been there. I tried to get my revenge on Mal- on everyone who I thought had hurt me- but it was not what I needed and it is not what you need."
     A blast of pink energy shot from the staff, hitting Myra in the chest. The blond got thrown against the wall, but it hadn't been lightning that struck her. "You don't know what I need!" Audrey yelled in anger. Her eyes shooting fire at Myra. But she didn't give up.
     "Come on, Audrey. You are a princess. Even without the King you will have everything else. You don't have to be the bad guy."
     "Well, maybe I want to be the bad guy." The pink girl growled.
     Myra shook her head, pushing herself to sit up against the wall. The blast may not have been lightning but it still really hurt. With a slight groan in her voice Myra started to sing. Careful, but clear enough for Audrey to hear.
     "You thought you did the right thing,
      But incidentally.
      You find the whole world did prefer it
      Differently." Myra could see Audrey's expression change, she was listening to her. Staff still threatening, but at least she was listening.
     "You went from being fair,
      To falling flat.
      You saw what's there,
      You found yourself at the wrong end of the stick.
      And you started to feel sick
      Of when the story drops you hard
      Into the pavement.
      Even though you thought you knew what "To behave" meant.
      But you found out you were thinking wrong.
      And you wound up back where you began.
      And you tried to get it right,
      But instead it just came back to bite you." At this point, Audrey had started to lower the staff. Giving Myra the opportunity to slowly push herself up from the ground, using the wall for support.
     "But you never wanted to be the bad guy.
      The bad guy.
      The bad guy.
      You never wanted to be the bad guy.
      You just convinced yourself that's how the story goes.
      Yeah, that's how the story goes." Myra stood up straight, reaching out one hand to Audrey for her to take.
     "But that doesn't have to be how the story goes."
     Myra stopped singing, still holding her hand outstretched to the broken princess. "It's true I never met you. But you can still go back to who you are. Who you really are. No black magic, no revenge." Myra could see Celia slowly get up from the ground in the corner of her eye, but didn't pay much attention to her. "You can go back to your loving family- I'm assuming they love you, since your parents aren't villains and all." This seemed to get a small chuckle from the girl. "Back to your friends."
     "I don't have friends." Audrey said, a snarling undertone in her voice, but a hint of sadness.
     "We could be friends." This seemed to surprise Audrey. But Myra never knew what she was about to say next, because Celia jumped her. The young girl clasped her hands around the staff and pulled with all her might. "No! Celia!"
     Audrey let out something between a disgusted scoff and an angry roar, before she roughly pushed Celia away. The girl fell to the ground and Audrey lost no other second before charging a magic blast at her. Myra immediately jumped between the two.
     "No! Audrey stop it, it's okay. You can still-"
     "Liar!" The girl yelled, blasting a bolt of pink lightning at Myra. "You're just like them!"
     It all went very fast. The magical lightning hit Myra in her shoulder, shooting her back against the wall. She could feel her bones crack as she collided with the stone, the back of her head being the last to hit the wall. Pain shot through her head, quickly followed by dizziness. Her vision started to blur. The last thing she saw before blacking out completely was Mal in her dragon form, slowly rising from the ground, a dangerous determination in her eyes and a blue light shining from inside her closed claw.

🐾●°●🐭●°●🐾