Chapter 9

Ella walks toward the cafeteria with head down full of thoughts. The note messed up her whole morning. She even got a whole lecture from Lady Cadence about focusing, in her Polyglot class. Boy was that long.

She picked up some random pieces of food, while also managing to get a large piece of mallowmelt. Just like her mother, the whole thing that seemed to cheer her up is food.

Walking to her usual table with all her friends, she looked up and put up a small smile.

" Hey, Ella!" Issac greeted. After that, everyone else looked up and said a quick hello before going back to whatever they were talking about.

Ella sat next to Ember, facing Cyrus who was laughing his head off of something Issac said. Ember was keeping everyone else's attention with her daily dose of gossip.

She picked her food, occasionally stuffing a giant piece of mallowmelt in her mouth while deciding if she should tell anyone. At first, she wasn't sure if the note was a prank or not, but when she flipped it over, the known Neverseen symbol was on it. She didn't know how and who put it in her locker, but she's going to make sure she finds out. Her parents lied to her for 15 years, hiding the truth from her and her friends and betraying her trust. Ella was going to solve this one way or the other.

Ella's spiraled thoughts were interrupted when she felt someone shaking her lightly. Her head jerked to the side, to find the whole table looking at her.

" Huh?"

Ember gently squeezed Ella's shoulder with a concerned look. " You okay, El?"

Ella quickly put up a smile and shrugged, " Oh... yeah, just tired, I guess" Her eyes wander, avoiding any eye contact.

Some of them- specifically Asher and Issac- gave her a doubtful look, while the others seemed to believe me. Saving her from anymore explaining, the bell graciously rang. Ella stood up to throw away her tray and bolted to her next class.

Elvin History was her next class, also the most boring one. Her mentor teaches basically everything she already knows. Since her mom lived in the Forbidden Cities before, Ella got plenty of human history from her and bits of Elvin. Not much help came with her dad, Keefe, though it wasn't much a surprise there. Alisa usually goes with her, but today she has a special ability lesson with Lady Zillah. Something to do with not fearing her shade ability.

Lucky for Ella, she didn't have her Teleporting and enhancing session with her mother, Sophie, with Keefe coming occasionally. It would be way too hard to hide the note from her parents when one of them is one of the most powerful Empath in the Lost Cities while the other is the legendary moonlark. The minute she might walk into the room, she would be bombarded with worried looks and questions.

Finally, after an hour of a long, boring lecture about the founders, Ella was able to get out. She only had Study Hall for the day before her session at the towers. Inflicting session with Councilor Bronte. He and Sophie work together to teach her ability since their the only elves beside her with that ability. Bronte with boring lectures and tons of drills and workouts along with Sophie acting motherly as well as letting her explore, Ella's Inflicting sessions somehow always end in chaos. Once again, Sophie had an important meeting with the other species with Keefe tagging along, so only Bronte would be teaching.

Ella was honestly glad that her parents have so many duties for once. Despite their work, they always manage to be there for them no matter what. They were always a call away.

Her thoughts blocking her mindset, Ella bumped into someone knocking her footing backward. Though, before she could fall back and embarrass herself, a pair of arms wrapped around her torso. Ella looked up to see a pair of teal eyes that seemed to be grayer today.