Wrapping Gifts

Demetria's P.O.V.:

The events from yesterday were quite eventful. It took me and Damian, a whole six hours to finish cleaning the car. Although it could have taken us, probably an hour, our boredom got the best of us. We ended up having a whole water fight. It all started when I turned on the water hose to clean the soap off of the car, but I had accidentally sprayed Damian in the process. He wasn't too happy about that, despite my many claims saying that it was indeed an accident. He had taken the bucket of dirty, soapy water, and threw it at me, making me soaking wet. In retaliation, I had turned the water to full blast and began spraying him. We continued attacking back and forth by spraying each other or throwing sponges and rags at each. Eventually, the battle had come to an end with a twist of the ear by a furious Alfred. Even though that was yesterday, Damian and I have grown a slight fear of the old man.

Today is the day—November 11, Dick's birthday. Damian and I are currently sitting on the floor of our room, locked behind the closed door, making sure that no one else will see us. It is now eight in the morning, we had just finished with breakfast and all of the other boys are doing other things. Father has gone off to work, Dick is out to god knows where, and Jason and Tim are somewhere in the manor.

In front of us are the two bags filled with the items that we had bought yesterday and an assortment of bags, wrapping paper, and other things that Alfred had given us. I take the one bag and flip it upside down, watching as the numerous items fall out one by one with a thud.

"Seriously, Dee?" Damian asks. "You couldn't take them out one by one?"

I shake the bag, waiting for the last of the contents to fall out. As I'm shaking I look up at Damian with a straight face. "It's more efficient this way." Placing the large, now empty, bag onto the floor, I watch as Damian slowly and carefully, digs into the other bag, taking each item out one by one. As he's working on that, I begin to separate the items into five piles: Father's, Dick's, Jason's, Tim's, along with mine and Damian's as one. And well of course, with Dick's being the largest pile. I begin to fold all of the clothing and put them into their respective piles as well as the random items. Finishing with the separation, Damian and I begin to wrap the items we plan to give Dick as a birthday gift, which is the majority of the items.

"Is there a specific way we have to do this?" Damian asks, grabbing a long tube with paper rolled around it. He begins to stare questioningly at the unnecessarily long tube. "Perhaps a city way? Or do we just cover it in this paper?"

"I think we just wrap it," I answer. I grab a blue bag, filled with some colorful packing paper with the words 'Happy Birthday' on it. "Or do we put it in this bag?"

"Maybe we wrap it and then place it in the bag," Damian says, unsurely.

"Do we wrap the bag too?" I ask, picking up the blue bag. "After we place the wrapped item inside of the bag?"

We stare at each other with our eyebrow cocked. I sigh in annoyance, this isn't something that I'm used to. "Killing people is way easier than this, stressful work," I complain, falling onto my back. As Damian and I stare at the ceiling in confusion, contemplating our decisions, a knock at our door interrupts us.

"Master Demetria? Master Damian?" Alfred calls from the other side of the door.

"Quick, hide them!" I whisper to Damian as I push myself back up. I begin to walk towards the door but stop, looking back to make sure that Damian has hidden all of the items. I find him stuffing the items under the bed. He turns around and nods at me, allowing me to open the door. Unlocking the door, I am greeted by a cocked-eyebrowed old man. 

"How may we help you, Pennyworth?" Damian asks as he casually lays on the ground.

Alfred stares between me and Damian questioningly. He coughs, clearing his throat, and hands me a piece of paper. "These will be the guests that will be here today for Master Dick's surprise party."