11: I Don't Deal In Halves

The young girl came and placed two cups of coffees in front of us, Ridge placed one cup in front of me and took the other one, there were two chocolate lollipops placed next to the coffees and Ridge picked mine up and dipped it into my coffee, it ...

The young girl came and placed two cups of coffees in front of us, Ridge placed one cup in front of me and took the other one, there were two chocolate lollipops placed next to the coffees and Ridge picked mine up and dipped it into my coffee, it started melting instantly and gave the coffee a beautiful dark brown colour, I looked at Ridge in fascination as he mixed the chocolate with the coffee.

"I'll do it for you," I say.

"Go ahead," he said and I copied what he did.

"Everything here is so cute," I said then took a sip from my cup, "and so yummy too, I love it."

"I'm glad you liked it."

I took a few more sips then finally decided to ask him about his earlier comment, "So, 'New beginnings' you say. What exactly is your dark past?" I say looking at the coffee.

"Took you long enough."

"I'm sorry if you don't wanna talk about it."

"No, I want to," he says taking my hand and giving it a gentle squeeze.

"Whenever you're ready, I am," I say putting my other hand on his and giving it a gentle squeeze.

He thought something for a few minutes then spoke, "There was this girl, the only girl I had ever wanted to know better before you, before her I thought I hated the species, but she changed it all for me, Mia. I found myself going early to the places I know she'll show up, throwing parties so she'll show up, hanging out at the places she hangs out at, I wanted to deny the feeling, lock it away, but it was too strong, too powerful. I don't say I loved her, but I could've loved her, who knows? I never got the chance to find out," he says rubbing small circles on my hand, looking into the abyss.

"What happened?" I asked him.

"She was a year older than me, so last year she was about to start college along with my brother, they went to the same high school. I was living in my previous home with my brother at that time and I had started my senior year, he invited her at one of his parties, she was different, Ashley. She was not about deciding what to wear everyday to the college or makeup, she had ideas and theories that kept everyone interested. She saw me as her classmate's little brother, of course." Ridge says and lowers his gaze on our intertwined hands and gave me a small smile.

"I wanted to know her more, but she had a questionable group of friends, they were drunk assholes but apparently they helped her in a dark time of her life and she thought she owed her life to them. There were times I hinted her to stay away from them, but she would never listen. One night I went to a pre-college party with my brother, hoping to see her but she was nowhere. I called her but she didn't answer. I waited but eventually went home alone. I was in my room still trying to contact her, I called my brother and he told me she was still a no show, must be along with her friends. I called her again because I knew how harmful her friends could be and this time she picked up," Ridge says and closes his eyes.