27: Perception & Deception (Act VIII)

The auction was still going on but we left the party from the back gate

The auction was still going on but we left the party from the back gate. By 'we' I mean, Carson, Derek and I.

We were now inside Eastwood, climbing the same back wall Derek and I came in through for the second strike. But now, things have changed around here, at least two guards could be seen patrolling the premises every half an hour and a permanent guard sat outside the Chancellor's office, near which we were currently hiding, inside a bush.

"You two realise that I'm wearing a gown right now, Right?" I whispered.

"Uhh- Yeah, I think everyone has complimented you enough for one night, Gee- Self involved much?" Derek says, looking weirdly at me.

This idiot.

"I'm not asking you to compliment me, you idiot. I meant to bring it to everyone's attention that I am not currently dressed for a strike or whatever it is you plan on doing here tonight," I whisper.

"Relax, climbing over the wall was the most thrilling thing we planned on doing tonight, now that it's already done, you don't have to worry about doing another stunt tonight," Carson says.

"Okay, but I'm cold too," I say.

"Well, damn Jackie, I can't control the weather," Derek shots back immediately.

I look at him unimpressed and his face stops smiling, "I'm only kidding, here, take this," he says before taking off his jacket and giving it to me.

"I can't take this, obviously. I still remember the night at camp. You'll freeze without a jacket," I say, pushing his hand away.

"Who says I won't be having a jacket?" Derek asks with furrowed eyebrows.

"How will you, if you give me yours?" I look at him confused.

He doesn't answer me and looks at Carson. Carson stops twisting the twigs he was playing with for passing the time and looks back at Derek, "What?" He asks.

"Nothing," Derek shrugs, "Just Looking at you for nothing," he says, with neutral expressions and continues to stare at Carson.

Cardon was lost in thoughts for a minute then finally huffs air out of his mouth, "Okay, fine. Just stop looking at me like that," he says, carefully taking his jacket off and offering it to Derek.

"Here you go, Ashley. Put my jacket on, I have Carson's," Derek says helping me put his jacket on. He wraps it around my back and I slide my hands in the sleeves. It was warm enough.

"Thank you," I told Derek.

"I know how you can really thank me," Derek winked at me with a playful smile on his face.

God! This human. I rolled my eyes at him.

"That's what you get for bringing a baby to the mission," Carson curses as Derek takes the jacket from his hands and wears it.