Dead zone

No ones POV
2 months after the Fall

Ash set across the clouded sky, infested with many winged Grimm. On the ground, purple flames roared through the streets of Vale... or at least what's been flagged as the dead zone of Vale. It the middle of a completely ruined city block, a girl laid on her back, barely conscious. She held her hand up, looking at the Griffins and Nevermores flying all the way to Beacon.

Her head turned to the side, towards where they were all heading... only to have something beyond the ash staring back. A Grimm... one like no other. Distant red lines shone through the ash wall between the two, as the colossal predator waited for its targets next move. But then...

???: Velvet!!!

The rabbit faunas quickly snapped back to reality, sitting back up and turning towards the voice. The voice of her leader: Coco Adel.

Coco: Velvet, get out of there!!!

Velvet quickly shot off the ground, turning back towards the Grimm beyond the ash. Purple flames began to form presumably where its mouth is. In response, the brunette Faunus quickly sprinted to the side, being joined by Coco, as a beam of purple flames shot out of the ash. The two teammates ducked behind a big enough piece of rubble as the beam struck the ground where Velvet once laid, before trailing further down the street. Whatever buildings that were still standing collapsed into nothingness.

Velvet: Woah... that was... too close for my liking.

Coco: Yeah... no kidding. Look, we need to get the F outta here.

Velvet: What?

Coco: Glynda is calling full retreat. We're letting this wave through.

Velvet then tried to stand back up.

Velvet: I can still fight-

Coco: The state I found you in says other wise! I know you want to finally take this thing down. I do to. I mean, that thing has been a real pain in the ass these past few weeks. But I'd rather come back from a loss over not coming back at all.

Hanging her head, Velvet nodded at her leader. Taking her hand, Coco quickly ran back to where she originally came from, with Velvet in tow. However, the ever watching Grimm stared through the ash at the running Huntresses. Knowing they've surrendered, the apex Grimm then roared into the sky in victory, as even more Grimm passed the colossal creature in their way to the fallen Beacon.

Timeskip

Within one of the very few safe spots in this area of Vale, Velvet and Coco reached a crowded zone loaded with tents, each hosting Huntsman, injures, or both. Especially both. Cries of the critically injured and those who've suffered the loss of others rang through the Huntresses ears as they reached their own tent. One that hosted the rest of their team.

Pulling back the covers into the brown tent, Coco entered with Velvet as they saw their teammate Fox leaning on a table to the side of the tent, and Yatsuhashi doing his best to meditate on the ground. Pinned above the table was a map of Vale, except a shade of red lit up a triangular shape pointed towards Beacon. The marked area simply had two words beneath it: Dead zone.

Coco: Heya. *to Fox* How's... how's he holding up?

Fox: *through telepathy* Not that good. Seems this whole battle to protect what's left of Beacon is finally getting to him.

Velvet: Y-Yatsu... Is there anything we can do?

Suddenly, the green armoured Huntsman yelled out as he punched into the ground beneath him out of rage, catching everyone off guard given his calm personality.