Chapter 9: Sleepless Nights

Yuri's POV

It's been five days after the incident happened. Five days since Minjoo got into a coma. Five days since Chaewon's sleepless nights.

Ever since Minjoo was admitted into the hospital, Chaewon would go there practically every single day. She'd go there before classes starts, after school ends, and she even stays there until visiting hours are over.

I tried to tell her that Minjoo wouldn't want to see her looking all restless and tired but she kept on insisting that she was fine, even though it was clear that she was not. The black circles underneath her eyes and her being a lot less than her usual self gave it away.

We had chemistry class today. Chaewon was next to me during the period who had her head down, obviously sleeping. It's a good thing we sat at the very back row that our teacher didn't notice.

I was debating mentally whether if I should wake her up or not. We had a new lesson for today and I'm sure Chaewon still doesn't know what it is about yet. Even if she's a pro in the subject, a new lesson can be a bit confusing sometimes.

After thinking for a whole minute, I've decided to let her sleep. Even if I wake her up, she'll be too tired to listen anyways. I sighed, thinking I should listen to this lesson well, for myself and for Chaewon whom I think I'll need to help later on.

Our teacher continued teaching the class about the new topic. Some were doing well while some were confused, and I believe I belong to those who are confused. I closed my eyes as I took a deep breath out. "You got this, Yuri." I tell myself.

--

After 15 minutes of listening, computing, and scribbling down on whatever our teacher was saying, I finally understood how the new lesson worked. I knew there was going to be an activity after this as there always is in this class, that's why I listened. Chaewon wasn't going to be a big help for me at this point. I needed to understand this topic without Chaewon's help as I'm the one who needs to help her later on.

"It's okay, unnie. I got this in the bag." I whispered to a sleeping Chaewon beside me as I gave her a small wink.

"Okay, seems like you don't have any more questions so let's start our activity now." Our teacher tells us before going through his stuff grabbing papers that seemed to be our activity. "Oh and by the way, I'll let you work in pairs. There's a lot of problems here and it would be faster if there will be two of you solving. The more heads, the better." He added.

I looked at Chaewon before cheering quietly. "You hear that unnie? We'll work in pairs. You don't need to worry about anything. I'll answer it for us." I was about to skim through my notes about the lesson when the teacher suddenly spoke up, "I'll choose the pairs. I don't want you pairing yourselves up as some of you wouldn't be able to finish if you did pair by yourselves." He narrowed his eyes at the guy in front who seemed to be planning on talking with his partner other than doing the said activity.

My eyes widened at his statement. "Chaewon! Unnie! Wake up!" I whispered-yell at her while nudging her lightly. "Mhm?" She asked sleepily.

"Unnie, forget about what I said. I can't help you with this one. You'll just have to work with whoever will be paired with you for this activity. I just hope it's not someone as bad as him." I told her, pointing at the guy who seems to be getting scolded by our teacher.

"Yeah, yeah." She says before heading back to sleep. I rolled my eyes at her. This wasn't the time to sleep!

"Now the pairs, please raise your hand as I call your name. Go to your partner immediately so you can start answering." He said, holding a piece of paper that seems to have the whole name of the class. "Unnie, please raise your hand if he calls you." I pleaded at the sleeping girl beside me who was just starting to wake up.