Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

The school day had finally came to an end and both Cole and AJ walked out of the school building side by side.

“Cole, AJ you need to return to the pack house immediately.” Both boys who were walking towards their car  when they heard their father voice through the mind link

The picked up their pace until they reached their car and took off towards the pack house.

“What is dad?” AJ asked through the pack link worried something may have happened to hs mate.

“We have had an incident, one of the men on patrol , found a dead pack member”

“What?” Cole said back to his father through the mind link. “How did they die?” Cole asked

“He had been shot.” Aaron told his son through the mind link.

Both AJ and Cole looked at each other “Hunters” The both said at the same time. AJ put his foot down on the accelerator so they could reach home faster.

As soon as they reached the pack house, they jumped out of the Jeep and raced inside to their father’s office. They didn’t bother knocking their father was expecting them.

They walked inside to find their parent and a few other pack members standing around.

“Where was the body found?” AJ asked as soon as he walked into the room.

“At the waterfall” Ryder, AJ fathers second in command said.

“How long has he been dead for?” Cole asked

“We are not sure, most likely last night.”

“Why did it take so long for him to be found?” AJ asked.

Ben, Aaron’s third in command took a step towards them “We widened the patrol perimeters and were mainly concentrating on patrolling the borders it wasn’t until we were coming back to the pack house that we found his dead body.” Ben explained

“So what do we do now?” Zoe, Ryder’s mate asked Aaron.

Aaron sighed and scratched the back of his neck “We are more cautious, nobody goes into the woods alone, we keep an eye out for anything strange. We hunt and find these hunters and take them all out before they hurt anyone else from my pack.” Aaron growled.

AJ bumped Cole on the shoulder “Come on let’s go see what we can find at the waterfall, maybe the hunters left us some clues”

“What are we now detectives?” Cole asked

AJ rolled his eyes “No dumb ass, but it beats sitting here waiting for them to attack next” AJ said walking out of his father’s office.

“Where are you two going?” Aaron called out.

“Nowhere dad” AJ called back.

Cole just shook his head “Maybe we should tell him where we are going, what if the hunters are still there?” Cole asked sounding a little worried

“Then we kill them.” AJ told him.

They both walked outside and into the wood, after stripping and placing their close on a fallen log that laid nearby, they changed into their wolf forms, AJ in his large black wolf and Cole into his white wolf with the silver stripe and took off into the direction of the waterfall.

“Race ya!” Cole said as he raced passed AJ

“Like it would be a fair race” AJ said back to his brother through the mind link.

“Ha! You’re just scared of losing” Cole taunted AJ.

AJ took off after his brother and tried to catch up to him, by the time they reached the waterfall he had only just caught up to Cole.

“You’re getting faster” AJ said to his brother as  walked over to the tree where the store clothing for when they are here.

Cole just grunted at AJ as he changed back into his human form. “Maybe your just getting slower big brother” Cole said as he slipped on a pair of board shorts.

AJ rolled his eyes at Cole “As if”

They walked out of the woods and into the open, it rained a few nights ago so the waterfall was flowing loudly as water rushed over the edge of the cliff.

“Where exactly did they find the body?” Cole asked AJ

AJ sniffed the air and smelt small traces of blood in the air he followed the smell and came to the edge of the water. “I’m going to take a guess and say in the water.” AJ said to his brother.

Cole turned around in a circle and scanned the area “Ok, so either he was swimming or…” Cole stopped talking when something caught his eye. He walked a few feet away from the water a noticed a patch of blood “Was sitting here looking at the water, like the rest of us do” He said finishing his sentence.

AJ walked over and inspected the blood Cole had found.

“Ok so if he was sitting here, where were the hunters positioned when they shot him?” AJ asked

They both scanned the area which would have been behind where the shot wolf was sitting,

“Nothing seems to be standing out and saying hunter stood here”  AJ joked

Cole rolled his eyes and started walking towards the woods where the hunters were most likely positioned when they shot the wolf.  He sniffed the air and smelt an odd scent, taking another big sniff he noticed it was coming from the tree in front of him.

He walked over to it and sniffed again, the scent was stronger on the tree he looked up and noticed a branch that would have been perfect for the hunters to sit on and wait for a werewolf to run by.

“Hey AJ, I think I found where they shot him from.” He called out.

It didn’t take long for AJ to be at his side. “Where?” AJ asked Cole

Cole pointed up to the large thick branch that was sticking out of the tree. “There” he said.

AJ grabbed hold of a lower branch and hoist himself up, he climbed from branch to branch until he reached the spot Cole was pointing too,

“There is a strange scent up here and enough gap in the branches for a perfect shot where the guy who was shot was sitting” AJ shouted out to Cole.

“Can you tell who the scent belongs too?” Cole asked

AJ shook his head “It’s as if whatever the hunters were wearing was masking their true scent, I can’t even tell if it was a human or werewolf”

A branch snapping not too far from Cole had him turning towards the sound and looking for whoever was responsible for the noise.

“I don’t think we are alone” Cole said to AJ though the mind link.

“What? Why what can you see?” AJ asked using the mind link also.

“I heard a noise.” Cole said as he walked away from the tree and started to walked in the direction where the sound came from.

He was a little nervous that the hunters were back and were about to shot him.

He walked into the bushes and pushed the branches out of his face when he came face to face with the person responsible for noise.

“YOU!” Cole said