Chapter Twenty Three

Cole paced in the hall outside the medical room while he waited to hear news on his brother condition, his brother’s mate was in a stable condition the bullet had not hit any major organs and was easily removed. They were lucky to have had a pack member from the mountain ridge pack here and they had, had some medical training. Anne their pack doctor was working on AJ, if he doesn’t survive Cole planned on waiting for Rose to wake and forcing her to tell him everything she knows about the hunters. Starting with where to find them.

The door to the medical room opened and his gran walked out. Cole ran up to her. “How is he?” He asked.

She shook her head at him “Not good, one of the bullets had lodged itself in his bone and Anne was having trouble getting in out, when she did get it out she couldn’t stop the wound from bleeding. She thinks it may have hit an artery,” His gran told him. "His lung had been punctured by the dagger so he is currently on a machine that is helping him breath until it heals.

“Is he going to live?” Cole asked. He held his breath as he waited for her to answer, he couldn’t live without his brother, if he died Cole might just die right beside him.

“We don’t know yet” Lucy said softly “It doesn’t look good though. He has lost so much blood, his pulse is weak, and he doesn’t appear to be healing as quickly as he should be.”

“What, why not?” Cole asked.

His gran shrugged “We don’t know, it’s as if his wolf has given up and is not fighting to survive like it should.”

“I want to see him.” Cole said walking towards the door.

“Cole she is still working on him. It’s not safe for you to go in there yet, your wolf may see Anne as hurting your brother and fight for control.”

Cole turned and looked at his gran “Your wolf didn’t”

Lucy shrugged “I have had years to learn how to control my wolf”

Cole sighed “Fine” he started to pace in the hallway again. His thoughts going back to the hunters and what he planned to do to them when he found them.

“How is he?” Cole was brought back out of his thoughts by the sound of his mother’s voice. He looked over at her and noticed her red-rimmed eyes. She had been crying and by the looks of it, she had been crying a lot.

Cole walked over to his mother and wrapped her in his arms.

“Anne is still working on him.” He said softly to his mother. “Grandma said he had lost a lot of blood.”

“Oh god” Chloe sobbed “He has to survive.”

“I know mum.” Cole said rubbing her back. He felt as a tear had escaped his eye and rolled down his cheek. It was as if that one tear had called on the rest and before he knew it he was sobbing in his mother’s arms.

“I can’t lose my brother.” he said burying his face in his mother’s neck and breathing in her scent. “I will hunt down and kill every hunter myself if he doesn’t survive.”

Chloe squeezed him in her arms as she cried along with her son. Once the tears had finally run out and they both had their sobs under control, Cole pulled back from his mother.

“Where is dad?” he asked her.

“With your Grand father, Danny is still missing and we need to come up with a plan to stop these hunters from attacking us on our own land.” His mother told him.

Cole felt a pang of guilt when he realised he had not even given Rose brother a second thought. He was too young to understand what was really going on and if he was out there on his own he would not survive long.