Laurel x Manticore- Fireflies

Night picnics were a new concept to Corey. She had never heard of them before Laurel mentioned them to her once in conversation, when talking about her boys. When asked about them, Laurel made it her mission too seek a night out for Corey and her to go on a night picnic.
Using her sick mom skills, Laurel was able to whip up some of her and Corey's favorite foods and find the perfect night for them to partake.
"This was absolutely wonderful, Laurel," Corey told the woman next to her, licking some of the salt from under her claw. Laurel chuckled at the sight.
"I'm glad you enjoyed it, Corey," she replied, looking at the beautiful beast in front of her. She hadn't felt this warm since Wilden passed. Not even with Colt. Corey gave Laurel a sense of passion and happiness. She felt safe, happy, loved, wanted.
Yes, of course Colt was wonderful to her; he treated her well, worried when needed, helped her with her family, etc.
However the breakup hadn't been exactly a surprise. They just seemed to have... fallen out of love.
But Corey.. Corey was there every step of the way. Helping her out around the house (although her size compared to the cramped house didn't exactly make things easy), bringing her on little quests to get her mind off things, and even starting to go on little friend dates with her.
Yeah... friend dates.
Right...?
"You said you used to take Ian and Barley out here, right?" Corey spoke, leaning back to see the sky full of stars.
"Yeah. They loved it out here. There always used to be fireflies and tons of stars when we went. They either loved that or the fact they could stay up a little past their bedtime," Laurel chuckled and looked up at the sky with Corey. The Milky Way was clear, visible, beautiful. It was always something Laurel admired about going outside the city for a picnic.
"How did they handle that?" Corey asked, almost sounding shy in the tone. "With.. your husband passing?"
"They were young," Laurel shrugged, looked over at Corey. "It didn't seem significant at the time, but growing up I think they suffered a bit. Not having a father figure around a lot of the time took a bit of a toll. It was hard for me to keep up with the duty of being a mom."
"If it's any day in the matter," Corey cleared her throat a little before stating, "I think you did an excellent job. Those boys grew up to be wonderful."
The women exchanged smiles, when all of a sudden Corey's eyes flashed over to the land behind Laurel. Laurel's eyes followed.
"Fireflies!"
The two stood up and immediately went toward the tall grass like children, trying to catch the glowing bugs around them.
Laurel could hear Corey gasp, and she turned around to see her looking into a hole in her giant paws.
"I.. I think I got one!!" She exclaimed, slowly making her way over to the other woman. She opened her paws and out flew the firefly, dancing back into the night.
The two exchanged glances, then doubled over in laughter.
"I can't believe we just chased fireflies around like kids!" Laurel snorted, causing both of them to erupt in more laughter and sit back on the picnic blanket for balance.
Once the laughter died down, Corey shrugged a little.
"Do you think your boys would enjoy this place again?"
"Absolutely."
"Good," she said. "Because I enjoyed it. A lot."
It was dark, but Corey could still be seen with a shade of red darkening her cheeks. "Thank you Laurel."
"It's the least I could do for everything you've done for me and my family," Laurel responded, taking Corey's hand and looking up to the sky to watch the stars.

Hey all!
I had so so so much fun writing this one. I love these two 🥺❤️
Also I got some stuff today! Check it out 👇

 I love these two 🥺❤️Also I got some stuff today! Check it out 👇