Hypno! Part Deux!

An emo boy with piercings and some of his hair dyed red is being filmed at a middle school, with Carly Balmaceda on the scene. "What are we doing at Futterton Middle School, Mr. Scheck?" She holds out the microphone to him and he scoffs.

"Mr. Scheck? What am I, 20? Call me Illusionist Mind-bending Scheck. I'm gonna make this middle school disappear," He wiggles his fingers. "No probbles. It's gonna be way sick, because us kids...don't need school. It's an illusion."

"Kids definitely need school," Carly says to the camera, as she valued education like every other adult does.

"Scheckter piece, now!" He throws down a smoke bomb and when the smoke clears, the building is gone. Everyone cheers, with one student exclaiming 'Oh my god!'

The video ends there because a gloved hand smashes a phone to pieces. "Those kids want magic, I'll show them a real disappearing act," Hypnopotamus grins evilly. He could do much better than some kid. He has the experience, the style, and...the pizzaz.

-/-

The invitation came to Aina the day before the dance. It arrive by post--which was the first indication that it was out of the ordinary. Most people would just send and email, so if someone actually took the time to sharpen their pencil and use it on a piece of paper, then they want you to open it.

"Well open it" Aina's little sister, Sonya said, more excited by the envelope than Aina was. She tore open the envelope open and pulled out a card that was the same eggshell color as the envelope, then reading it to herself before reading it aloud.

The pleasure of your company is requested at the Highschool dance, tomorrow night, seven p.m.

There was no signature, no return address. There was, however, a single purple rose.

"A school dance?" Jamal said. Ew."

Aina couldn't agree more.

Aina's mom took the invitation and envelope from Aina to study them herself. "Whoever sent this, and whatever this is, it sounds interesting."

"It's probably some idiot's way of asking me on a date because he or she too afraid to ask me to my face."

"Do you think you'll go?" Her mother asked.

"Mom...a person who invites me to the dance is either joking or delusional."

"Or he's trying to impress you."

Aina grunted and went to her room, annoyed by her own curious nature. "I'm not going!" She called out from her room, knowing fully well she would end up going.

The school dance was one of the several places where anyone who was anyone went to be seen. At any given song, only most of the patrons were there for the actual dance. The rest were there to participate in the great melodrama of social climbing and career advancement. Even Aina, who moved in none of those circles, knew the drill.

Especially when it comes to Taylor Martin. "The coolest girl in school".

-/-

April takes a breath as she's standing in front of some trees. Mayhem is sitting right next to her. Instead of wearing her usual outfit, she's wearing a yellow dress with a blue belt around her waist, blue earrings, and yellow heels. Tonight was her homecoming dance at school.