• chapter 3 •

• WEDNESDAY •
* 1963 *

We sat in the small waiting/visiting room (very boring, they can't bother to hang up painting in here? maybe a plant, too) anxiously waiting for Diego

We sat in the small waiting/visiting room (very boring, they can't bother to hang up painting in here? maybe a plant, too) anxiously waiting for Diego. The nurse told us that she's bring him right away, but it'd already been 10 minutes since she left us in here. "Five?" I piped up.

He turned to me, raising an eyebrow in question. "What's up?"

I grabbed for his bony hand. I always, always, liked his hands, no matter how awkward and weird they looked. They were calloused: from so many different things (clenching his fists in anger, fighting, trainings, using guns, the list goes on and on). He was about to slide it into mine when he paused, twitching slightly from anxiety before it finally fitted in with mine. "How...how are we going to do it? Save the world, I mean. We barely made it out last time."

Five sighed, using his free hand to rub his eyes, a clear sign of his anxiety. He glanced back at me. "You know, the usual."

The sentence was on the tip of my tongue. I knew that Five wasn't gonna be happy about this, but I needed to speak my mind. "What if...what if we just...don't. You know, don't save the world?"

Five's hand slipped away from mine as if I had burned him. "What? What the hell, Wen?"

I shut my eyes tight at the nickname (he hadn't used it since the apocalypse. he only used the nickname when he truly was baffled at something i did). "I'm tired, so, so tired. What if we just spent the last ten days on earth together, living a good life. We can go in peace."

Five shook his head. He looked like he understood what I was saying. "I get it, Wednesday. I know you're tired and it's hard to keep up when you don't have powers." His hands slid into mine, squeezing them tightly. "But...do this. Please. For me. And I promise, I fucking promise that when it's all over and we're back in 2019 we will never have to do this shit again."

A sad smile found it's place on my face. "Okay," I whispered, squeezing his palm. "Okay."

Just then, the door swung open, and a huge man tossed Diego into the room. His hair had grown out, so had his stubble. He looked genuinely surprised to see us. "Five, Wednesday."

I smiled at him. For some reason it felt so refreshing to see him, even though I had been with him a few hours ago. "Hey, Diego."

"You look good in white," Five remarked as Diego slid into a chair. Diego slouched, sending him a sarcastic smile.

"About time you showed up," he told us quietly. I frowned. How was he not even somewhat relieved that we were here (so rude!)? We're gonna bust him out of this shithole, for God's sake.

"How'd you know we'd be back?" Five questioned. His demeanor was feigning nonchalance, as always, but I could tell his annoyance levels were going up.