• chapter 7 •

• WEDNESDAY •
* 1963 *

The car pulled up to a dark, basic office building

The car pulled up to a dark, basic office building. I opened the car door, slamming it shut as I stared up at the building. "This is it."

The engine to the car came to a stop. Diego and Five exited, walking over to join me at the front. "D.S. Umbrella," Diego noted. "This is it."

We walked up the pathway to the door, but Five paused when he noticed the company logo. It was the exact umbrella that all the kids had tattooed on them. I faintly recalled holding Five's hand, allowing him to squeeze extremely tight as the ink glided onto his pale skin. Reginald had told me that I also needed to get a tattoo, but after much (and by much, I mean much, it took a lot of convincing) time, he dropped the notion and allowed my arm to be clean. "You okay?" I asked him.

Five turned to me quickly, as if I had snapped him out of a trance. "Uh, yeah," he replied. "Fine. Just..."

Diego unsheathed one of his many knives. We paused at the front door, looking to see if there was anyone inside. "How long has it been since you've seen the old man?" Diego asked, kneeling down so that he could begin to pick the locks.

"Forty-Five years," I answered for him.

Diego looked up at the both of us. He sighed, shaking his head as he began to try to pick the lock. "That's a trip."

I stood beside Five as he let out a long, drawn out sigh. "No kidding." He paused. I watched as he glanced down at the ground, refusing to make eye contact as he spoke. "You know, when we were stuck out there in the apocalypse, there wasn't a day that went by where I didn't hear his voice in my head."

Five still refused to look at me when my head shot up to try and meet his eyes. "You never told me that," I whispered meekly (why...why wouldn't he tell me that? he trusts me, right? everyday when we were stuck out there Five never mentioned his father. he refused to even bring him up for a second. so why is he telling me this now?). "What...what was he saying?"

"I told you so," Five responded. Finally, finally, he turned to look at me. His eyes were a pool of sadness and, what looked like, regret. (although it sounds cliche) It broke my heart to see him like that.

Diego scoffed gently. "Well, if dad's here he's never met you before, so he can't say I told you so."

"I'm sure he'll find a way." Five was joking, attempting to lighten the dark mood that he'd set, but it wasn't working (remind me later to talk to him about this. if he thinks he's getting away with being emotionally traumatized and not telling me about it he's got another thing coming). Five looked into my eyes for a second longer before blinking into the room and unlocking it from inside.