• chapter 15 •

• WEDNESDAY •
* 1963 *

"You seem to be the sensible ones of the bunch," Reginald told us, turning to face us

"That's because we're the oldest," I explained. Reginald didn't hesitate to give us a confused look. "You know, technically, we're older than you right now."

"Cognac?" He offered (it feels so weird, sitting here with a man I practically resented my whole life. except...it didn't feel like I was sitting with my old boss (?), it felt like I was chatting with an old friend).

Five turned to me, and I shook my head gently. "For the lady, nothing. For me, just a smidge."

"The other night you quoted Homer at me," Reginald explained as he poured both his and Five's drinks. "Why?"

"You forced us to learn it as kids," Five explained. He snatched up his glass and brought it to his hands so he could fiddle with it. "In the original greek, no less." The two toasted, taking a sip of their drink.

"This world ends in five days if we don't get out of the timeline," I whispered quietly.

"Worlds end," Reginald said, as if that was supposed to fix everything. "Paleozoic, Jurassic, and so on."

"We can do something about this one!" I snapped (though it sounded more like a desperate whine. I felt Five reach down under the bar table to grab at my hand. I gladly took it. it was then that I was reminded of the small burn that just continued growing bigger and bigger every time I jumped with Five. I guess I forgot, since i'm kind of used to the burning sensation now).

"Man's greatest flaw: the illusion of control," Reginald told me.

"I am not a man," I muttered under my breath. I reached out for Five's glass, taking a short sip of the alcohol myself. "Men suck."

"We need your help," Five said, exasperated. "Alright? You're our last sane option. Otherwise, we gotta make a deal that we really don't wanna make." There was a short pause. "What do you know about tome travel?"

"In theory?" Reginald asked, tilting his head to the side like a intrigued cat (yeah, not a puppy. puppies are cute and cuddly and nice. and so are cats, but you get what i'm saying).

"In practice," I answered for Five (I know I don't have powers, but I know Five's well enough to understand how they work).

"I know it's akin to descending blindly into the depths of freezing waters and reappearing—"

I was suddenly taken back to that fateful day when we were kids. When Five jammed his knife into the table, smirking at his father. When I took off my heels, running after him. "—as an acorn," Five and I finished in unison.