• chapter 19 •

• WEDNESDAY •
*1963*

• WEDNESDAY • *1963*

"What?" I shouted. "No, I don't."

"Wednesday, it makes sense!" Five exclaimed, beginning to pace back and forth. "You've been getting burns when we jump, you've been fatigued, and have been losing your energy quicker. It makes sense."

"But how?" I questioned. Me? Having powers? That's absurd! It doesn't make sense. "I haven't had powers my whole life up until now? I'm 57, for God's sake!"

"Well..." Luther began quietly. His voice had raised in pitch, a clear sign that he knew something we didn't. "Funny thing is...you have had powers. Your, um, your whole life."

"What?!" Five, Klaus, and I shouted at the same time. Before I could take a step forward I found that I was already in front of Luther, just a few inches away.

Luther held up his hands in defense. "Woah, hey! I just barely found out before I went on my moon mission."

"So you knew this whole time and you didn't bother to even think about telling me that I had powers? Is that just not an important thing for someone to know about themselves or what?" I snapped.

"I'm sorry. I just...I didn't think that you'd want to know," Luther explained pathetically. "I mean, you and Five were gone for 45 years and then the apocalypse was happening so..."

"Do you know how much faster we could've solved the apocalypse if I knew?!" I shouted. "We could possibly still be back in 2019 right now!"

"How did you know?" Five asked him.

"Well," Luther sighed. "Before I went on my mission, Dad called me into his office. He told me that I'd be on the moon for a long time, and he wanted me to know something before I left. First, he told me how he got the syringe that turned me into a monkey-guy, but then, he told me that Wednesday might have powers. He said that because you never knew you had powers you never used them. He explained that if you were pushed over the edge, your powers would just...appear."

"So that's why I was let in the academy?" I asked meekly.

Luther nodded. "You were one of the babies that dad had intended to buy. Your parents wouldn't give you up."

"I'm still not your sibling," I joked, though it sounded kind of dumb coming out of my mouth. Of course I'm not their sibling. I was never adopted. "So, what, I have the same powers as Five?"

"I guess," Luther shrugged. "Dad never found out."

A moment later, I whirled around, latching onto Five's wrist as I began to drag him towards Elliot's house. Apparently my powers were still fresh out of the package and I couldn't control them so the second I opened the door to Elliot's home I was blinking both Five and myself halfway up the stairs. Five hissed, pulling his wrist from my hand. "Now I know what you meant by the burning sensation."