• chapter 10 •

• WEDNESDAY •
* 1963 *

My mother's eyes widened as a laugh escaped her lips

My mother's eyes widened as a laugh escaped her lips. "I'm sorry, sweetheart. You must be mistaken."

I tried to open my mouth to say something, but nothing would come out. No sound, no words. My eyes were still impossibly wide as I stared ahead at the couple before me. Five was standing awkwardly beside me, looking between me and my parents. He leaned down to whisper in my ear, "These aren't your parents, Wen."

I shook my head. "No, no. You guys used to...to show my pictures." I didn't know if I was talking to Five or my parents. "You showed me a picture of you guys at this party. Today."

"Again, we believe you have the wrong people," my dad piped up. He held out his hand for me to shake. "Here, I'm Cha—"

"Charlie and Sally Blandon," I finished for him. My mom's eyes widened even more, a gasp spilling from her lips. Her eyes darted to my dad, who's expression turned to one of anger.

"What kind of prank do you think you're playing, kid?" He snapped, turning to walk back down the stairs. "You leave me and my wife alone."

They disappeared into the crowd downstairs. I couldn't move from where I was, even when Five tugged on my hand. Everything felt...blurry. My eyesight was blurred over, even the small silhouette of Five. I couldn't hear, I couldn't think.

"—sday. Wednesday," Five called out. I blinked. Once. Twice. I looked around, noticing that we weren't in the hall anymore. We were in a closet. "Are you okay?"

"Hmm?" I hummed, continuing to look around. The sounds of footsteps came from outside, presumably the Majestic Twelve.

"Are you okay?" Five asked again. His hands were clasped in mine, holding them and squeezing them tightly in his grip. It was like he was holding me because he was worried I would slip away (which, if i'm being honest, I think i'm going to faint).

"I'm fine," I murmured, though we both knew that wasn't true. I wasn't fine. But I wasn't sad. I was...angry. How could my parents waltz around acting like perfect people? Go to fancy parties and act like a power couple when a mere 20 years later they'd be broken up and abusive to their own child who they decided to name Wednesday? Oh, God, how much I got made fun of for my stupid name. People would purposely call me anything but Wednesday.

"Hey Thursday!"

"Morning, Saturday!"

"How was your weekend, Monday?"

Unwanted memories were flooding through my mind. It caused adrenaline to suddenly build up, and not a second later I could feel it pumping in my veins. I turned to Five. "I'm fine. Now, lets catch these sons of bitches."