• chapter 9 •

• WEDNESDAY •
* 1963 *

"So, what, you just let her go?" Diego asked, his voice  pitching up sightly when Lila ripped off his bandage, probably so that she could replace it

"Well, Vanya had a lot to process," I told him, glancing up at Five. He was pacing, again (seriously, find a subtler way to show your anxiety. I just stick to tapping my foot up and down till it falls off). "She'll come around. I know she will."

"What about the guys that went after her?" Diego asked.

"The Swedes?" Five prompted. Elliot entered the room (Elliot is such a sweetheart. i've only known him for, what? two days? three? I don't know, but I know that I would kill for him), setting down a few steaming hot cups of coffee.

"Yeah, I mean, how do you know they won't go after her again?" Diego added as Lila pulled out a new bandage for him.

"We don't," Five answered. I picked up one of the cups, bringing it to my lips so I could take a sip.

"Mm," Lila made a gentle noise of contempt when she took a sip of her coffee. "Any idea who sent them?"

"Oh, we have our suspicions," I told her sarcastically. I was obviously referencing the Commission. "But right now our priority is finding Reginald and getting answers, cause everything else depends on it."

Five let out a loud sigh, picking up a coffee and plopping down into the seat beside me. He placed a comforting hand on my knee as Diego spoke, "Which, for the record, I found him already."

"And then let him go before we could have a meaningful conversation," Five interrupted.

"He stabbed me," Diego muttered, giving me and Five his signature raised eyebrow.

"I'm surprised he waited this long, Diego. We've all had the urge," Five retorted, smiling a smile of malice at his brother. Lila and Elliot laughed at that.

Diego turned to me, shaking his head and giving me a face that read 'not you, right?'. I simply raised my eyebrows at him, taking another sip of my coffee (Elliot's blend is wonderful). "Don't hold your breath, mommy's boy. You're laundry was my least favorite to do."

"Good thing we know where dad's gonna be tonight," Five said, changing the subject quickly.

He held out the letter to Diego, who snatched it up into his hands, reading it over carefully. Lila peered over his shoulder, seemingly reading it as well, a confused yet curious look coming over her features. "Where'd you get this?"