• chapter 16 •

• WEDNESDAY •
* 1963 *

"Who the hell opens a hotel and thinks 'Oh, yeah, green is a great theme!'?" I muttered, standing in front of the green doors in a green hallway

"Who the hell opens a hotel and thinks 'Oh, yeah, green is a great theme!'?" I muttered, standing in front of the green doors in a green hallway. Five sighed, shrugging.

The doors swung open, and there stood the Handler, smiling brightly at us. She walked back into her room, leaving the doors wide open. "Ah! Just in time for a nightcap."

Five hesitated, but I walked straight in. As Five shut the doors, the Handler poured out three drinks. I took mine and Five's, turning to hand Five his. The Handler lit a cigarette, sticking it in her mouth as she made her way towards the bed. She laid down sideways, smirking at us.

"To be clear," Five began, "we take out the board...you get us and our family home. No more doomsday, no more apocalypse. Is that correct?"

"That's the deal," The Handler replied smugly.

"Then we're in," I told her. She held out a folded piece of paper. I leaned in, taking it gently from her grasp and opening it up. Five leaned over my shoulder so that we could both read what it said.

The Lonely Lodge Inn. Oshkosh, Wisconsin, 1982.

• WEDNESDAY •
* 1982 *

Cars lined the sidewalk, several men dressed in (what I think was) German clothing. I had my arm in Five's, his hand firmly in his pocket as we made our way into the inn.

The inn was cozy, big, but not too big. We glanced around the area, spotting a woman in uniform hunched over some flyers on a table. "Excuse me," Five spoke.

"Uff da!" The woman exclaimed. Her accent was thick. She stood up, her afro poking out every which way. "You snuck up on me there. If you're looking for the cookies, we don't put em out until 3:00."

"I can hardly wait," I told her distractedly (and sarcastically). "Uh, do you happen to know where the Midwest Soybean Society is meeting?"

"Sure do!" She exclaimed chirpily. Her name tag read 'Kathy'. "Muskellunge Banquet Room. You looking for your mom? She in for the convention?"

Five looked past me, spotting a woman bending down to grab a snack at a vending machine. He pulled out some money from his pocket, handing it to Kathy. "Can I get some change?"

"Oh, sure. I'll just look in my purse," she said. Her 'purse' was a fanny pack. Oh, the horrors of the 80s. "Only a nickel and a couple of dimes." Kathy dug around, smiling brightly as she shoved a bunch of coins into Five's free hand. "You are...in...luck, mister and missus!"