• chapter 4 •

• WEDNESDAY •
* 1963 *

"This is disgusting, you know," I muttered quietly

The girl on the stage was beautiful, dressed in a gorgeous orange outfit that accentuated her beautiful body. She was waving around a huge orange feather fan. But that wasn't the problem. The problem was that a bunch of old men were wolf-whistling and hooting and oh God how can she take it? Five seemed too lost in his thoughts (or maybe the show, but jeez, i'm hoping he wasn't) to pay attention.

It was then that a huge, buff man leaned down between us. "She's too young for you, you know. Plus, you've already got a girlfriend."

"Nice to see you too, Luther," Five smirked. "I know. I'd be crazy to get rid of Wednesday." I felt a faint blush rise on my cheeks. My legs were crossed at the ankle, converse shining in the light. Five turned to look at everyone around us, frowning. "Why is everyone staring at us?"

"Me, not you," I mumbled. The room was filled with old, rich white men. Apparently they can't keep it in their pants, even for someone who appears to be a 13-year-old girl. I saw the way they watched me and Five as we walked in. At my words, Luther shifted to a spot hovering over us to where less men could see me. A swell of appreciation and respect for him filled my body (I mean, it's just basic human decency, but most men don't do that so I'll take what I can get). Luther, always the protector.

"What do you guys want?" Luther asked. He glanced around, as if making sure no one was looking at us suspiciously.

"For you to stop hovering like an ambitious stripper and sit down with us," Five answered simply. Luther let out a big sigh, pulling up a chair to sit beside me, still effectively masking me from half the men. "How long have you been here?"

"A year, thanks to you," Luther answered numbly. His eyes showed pain, but more than that was regret. Regret for what, I don't know.

"I'm sorry, Luther," I told him sincerely, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. "I know that couldn't have been easy."

"I thought everyone was dead!" He hissed. The regret was gone from his eyes, replaced by rage. In the distance, a man seemed to be fighting with another man. Luther sighed, looking over at the fight. "I gotta go."

"Luther, wait!" Five exclaimed. He caught Luther's wrist in his grip, holding on tightly. "I get what it's like, okay? I—we—know what it's like to be stuck in time thinking that this is how you're going to live out the rest of your life. On the run, and not knowing if you're ever going to see the people you love again."

"And to be in an unfamiliar world...it's horrible. But Luther, you're not alone," I added. "We have to find the others because the world ends again in ten days. We have no idea how to stop it."