• chapter 26 •

• WEDNESDAY •
* 1963*

When we got downstairs, our siblings were lined up by a corner, all watching Vanya as she spoke to Harlan

When we got downstairs, our siblings were lined up by a corner, all watching Vanya as she spoke to Harlan. Five and I joined them silently, holding hands. "Whatever it is I gave you, I can take it back, okay?" Vanya said. "We just, we need to stop this."

Vanya closed her eyes, placing her hands on Harlan's knees. We watched in awe (and a bit of pride) as Vanya sucked up the energy. You could see small balls of orange light transfer from Harlan's face to Vanya's hands. Energy whooshed as a small blast came from Harlan, knocking Vanya back only about a foot.

The small bubble that had surrounded Harlan was gone. He simply sat there, looking around at the rest of us. Sissy cried out in joy, running over and engulfing her son into a much needed hug. She kissed his head as Vanya turned to us, a smile on her face which we all greatly reciprocated.

"Herb! Dot!" I shouted in glee, smiling at the two old friends.

They greeted us with a smile as Diego leaned forwards, beginning to do an elaborate handshake with Herb. "Sup, Herbie? All good?"

"Good to see you guys," Five said.

Herb sighed in content. "I can't believe it. Is she...?" He paused, making a motion to show a knife slicing a throat.

"Really dead this time?" Five finished for him, raising his eyebrows in a teasing manner. "Yeah. Now that the Handler's gone, what happens at Commission?"

"Just tell them!" Dot encouraged.

"Eh—Well—" Herb stammered, "We need to elect a new board of directors. But, until then, I...um, I've been voted in as acting chairperson."

"No, shit," Diego said in awe as Dot began to clap happily. "Congrats, Herbie, that's huge."

"That's great!" I exclaimed.

"I'm so goddamned nervous!" He shouted excitedly.

"You'll do fine," Five said. "Herb...we need a favor. A briefcase. Get back home, where we belong."

Herb nodded, making a single finger gun to Five as he and Dot turned to the mass amounts of field agent bodies lying on the ground. Each pair had their own briefcase. "Take your pick," Herb said earnestly.

We all came down the steps of the house as Five began to set the date to 2019 on the briefcase. We huddled around in a circle as Five spoke, "Everyone ready?" 

I smiled nodding at him. "Let's do it."

Diego and I placed our hands on Five's shoulders, and I reached my other hand out to hold Allison's hand, who held Vanya, who held Luther, who held Klaus, who held Diego. Five waited for the final moment when Klaus said, "Wait!"

We all watched as he ran back towards the house, picking up a fedora that had been perched on the railing. He placed it on his head, smiling in triumph. We sighed in annoyance, Diego leaning down to whisper, "Fifty bucks if we leave him here." 

Klaus quickly ran back, though, and nodded. I squeezed Five's shoulder as the energy charged, enveloping us in a blue haze of light.

• WEDNESDAY •
* 2019 *

I stumbled on the old carpet that I vacuumed time and time again, stabilizing myself on Five's shoulder. We all panted, groaning at the obvious side effects of time traveling. We were clearly jan the Umbrella Academy, in the main foyer.

"Wha...what day is it?" Klaus asked.

I lunges forwards for a stray newspaper that was conveniently on the table before us. My eyes scanned the page, widening in happiness as I read the date. "April 2nd, 2019. Day after the apocalypse."

"Wait, so we stopped it?" Allison cried in disbelief.

"My God, it's over?" Vanya added.

Klaus whimpered, jut certainly not in pain and more certainly not in sadness. "Did we...actually succeed at something? That's incredible!" We all laughed in happiness. I felt Five kiss my temple, his lips lingering for a second longer. He grabbed my hand, beginning to lead me to the living room as Klaus spoke, "I don't know about you guys, but I need a drink. In fact I need several."

"Guess I'm really gonna get that margarita, huh?" I teased, leaning against Five. Five chuckled gently, leading me into the living room. Our siblings followed close behind.

We weren't even there for a minute when Diego spoke out in uncertainty, "Why is there a painting of Ben over the mantlepiece?"

My head whipped around at the speed of light. Instead of the dashing painting do Five that had always been there, a painting of Ben in a purple uniform was there instead.

A sudden but familiar voice rang out. "I knew you'd show up eventually."

The seven of us turned to Reginald, our eyes wide with shock. "Dad..." Luther whispered softly. "You're alive."

"Why shouldn't I be?" Reginald questioned harshly.

"Yeah," Luther said. "Y-yeah, you're right. I'm...I'm just happy that we're home and...together again."

"Home?" Reginald snapped. "This isn't your home."

"What are you talking about?" Allison scoffed, shifting slightly as she crossed her hands over her chest defiantly. "This is the Umbrella Academy."

"Wrong again," Reginald said. "This is the Sparrow Academy."

Footsteps approached from behind us, causing all of us to turn around. When we did, we were met with (what I counted) five silhouettes of teenagers and an odd green floating box beside them. My hand slowly slipped from Five's as yet another familiar yet unexpected voice rang out, "Dad, who the hell are these assholes?"

I felt like I was going to puke. Ben's hair was all frizzed up, a scar running on his cheek and a small mustache growing. Each of our eyes widened in horror, feet frozen into place.

At that moment, I was strangely reminded of the day that Five and I arrived in 2019, a mere 14 days earlier. Why, you may ask?

Well, like anything the Hargreeves do, we let out a collective sigh, still staring at Ben as we said in unison, "Shit."

...short chapter, huh?

-maya💛