• chapter 23 •

• WEDNESDAY •
* 1963 *

When we entered the barn a gust of wind hit us in the face

When we entered the barn a gust of wind hit us in the face. The kid who I assumed was Harlan was floating in the middle of the barn, a huge sphere of blue and orange light surrounding him. "Harlan?" Vanya shouted. "Harlan, it's Vanya! Look, Harlan I know you're really scared, but I can help you. I need you to listen to me, can you do that?"

Vanya sighed, eyes going white as she stepped into Harlan's bubble. "Careful," Five warned her.

Vanya continued to speak to Harlan when Klaus called out, standing by a window, looking out to a field, "Uh, guys? Who are they?"

All of us (excluding Vanya) made our way to the window. Diego cursed as I spoke. "One's the Handler, the other's Diego's girlfriend."

"Lila," Diego said, "my ex-girlfriend."

"You know what? It doesn't matter. They both look angry," Luther stated, peering over Five's shoulder.

"Yeah, well, our brother has that effect on people," Allison scoffed.

Five's hand joined mine as he tugged me towards the barn door. "Me and Wednesday are gonna go find out what they want. You guys stay here with Vanya and the kid."

"I'm coming with you, too," Diego decided. "Come on."

The Handler chuckled and hummed as we approached her and Lila. "I love the smell of that fresh country air, don't you, darling?"

"Makes me want to vomit," Lila retorted, her eyes zeroing in on me and Five.

"What do you want?" Five deadpanned.

"To watch you and your little girlfriend suffer," Lila snapped. Her hair blew in the wind, but it would've been impossible to miss the scowl on her face.

Diego looked up. "What about me?"

Lila's face scrunched up into an annoyed grimace at the sound of Diego's voice. "You're not even worth my wrath."

"Easy," The Handler told her. "We're here on official business."

"And what business is that?" I asked.

"As the head of the Commission, I've decided to eliminate the criminals responsible for the assassination of the former board of directors," The Handler explained smugly.