• chapter 18 •

• WEDNESDAY •
* 1963 *

"Wait!" I shouted, turning to look out the left side of the window

"Wait!" I shouted, turning to look out the left side of the window. "Is that Vanya?"

Sure enough, both our cars skidded to a stop at the corner we were turning. Vanya was the first to get out, me and Five following her initiative. "What are you doing here?" She asked.

"Looking for you," Five explained. "We're going back to 2019."

"What are you talking about?" Vanya questioned, looking around wildly as Five glanced down at his watch. "When did you change?"

"Look, we don't really have time to explain right now, but we found a way home," I told her (suddenly I felt all fidgety, like I wanted to itch every part of my body while simultaneously wanting to take a hot bath. my analogies aren't the best, but hey, it's the truth). "Alright? We have 30 minutes to leave."

Five and I turned back to the car, expecting Vanya to follow us. Except she didn't, calling out, "What about my friends? I can't just leave them here."

"Vanya, you don't have a choice in this, alright?" Five said. "Doomsday will happen if you don't come with us."

"Okay, well then I'm bringing them with me," Vanya demanded. Her eyes were set, jaw tight.

"They belong in this timeline," Five fired back at his sister, pointing to the ground as if it would prove his point.

"Says who?" She yelled. "Sissy deserves a life where she doesn't have to pretend to be someone she's not. And Harlan? There's a name for what he has. We can get him the help he needs. Look, a mom and her eight-year-old son are not gonna screw up the timeline! They're insignificant!"

"No one is insignificant," I explained carefully. "I'm sorry, alright? But we can't take that risk. They have to stay. Come on."

But Vanya didn't budge, standing in place. "Why do you get to decide? You two are the reason we're stuck here in the first place."

"If we did nothing, we would all be dead right now, thanks to you," Five hissed (why does everyone in this goddamn family just automatically assume me and Five are the ones to blame? it's getting really old, "you guys got us stuck in the timeline!" "my girlfriend is dead because of you!" "you're an asshole!" like shut up! I don't care).

"They're coming with me," Vanya said.

Five scoffed, shaking his head. "Vanya, do not test me right now."