• chapter 24 •

• WEDNESDAY •
* 1963 *

A cry of relief surged through me when Five's head poked out of a small patch I had opened up

A cry of relief surged through me when Five's head poked out of a small patch I had opened up. He painted for air, his piercing green eyes looking into mine with understanding.

Once I had helped him out of the debris, I brushed him off quickly as we stood in the gaping hole in the wall. "You looking for me?" Five said, catching Lila's attention. "Let's dance."

Then, the three of us collectively blinked into the house again. The second we got there, Five and I both went for a punch. Lila easily deflected mine with a kick and Five's with a punch. She turned and threw me against the wall, seemingly continuing her fight with Five. I stood up, knowing that it was my turn again when Five was thrown next to me.

Lila threw a punch at my chest with I quickly dodged. I bright my hand forwards in a punch, but Lila easily caught my hand. Before she could twist me downwards, I blinked behind her. Which apparently she was expecting, because she turned around, caught my kick, and shoved me backwards. Five was beside me. The two of us ran for her, but we're stopped when she blinked away.

I felt a tug on my hair as Lila kneed Five in the stomach. He headbutted her, which apparently did nothing since she wrenched me forward by my hair and slammed my head into Five's shoulder. I groaned, but not before recovering. Five punched Lila in the stomach, pulling her over his shoulder when she blinked away and onto the counter.

"Careful now," she teased, reaching for a frying pan. "You both will tire yourselves out."

"How are you doing this?" Five panted.

"Oh, anything you can do I can do better," she said.

And then we blinked into the barn.

Five blinked in front of her and I blinked behind her, Lila turned around, hitting me in the face with the pan. I fell to the ground, barely registering as Five blinked away but was still knocked down as well right beside me. Five made a move to stand up, but was stopped as Lila placed her foot on his throat, mirroring what he did a few days earlier.

I stood up to hit her but was too slow. Lila's hand reached out and squeezed around my neck. She suspended me in air as I kicked uselessly. I could feel my throat close up, my air supply running short. "Doesn't feel so good, does it?" Lila said.

I gasped in pain, but managed to choke out with a rasp, "Eat shit and die."

I placed my hands on Lila's wrist, using the leverage to bring my legs up into a koala position before wrenching them down. Lila's foot came off of Five's throat, her hand being forced away from mine as I threw her across the barn.