• chapter 25 •

• WEDNESDAY •
* 1963 *

I never realized how many times I came close to death and didn't even care

So, so, many times I came face to face with the good old grim reaper. The bank, the apocalypse, many times on the job with the Commission, a billion times in 2019, and a billion times here in Dallas. And I never worried. I never seemed to care.

But my biggest fear was always losing someone I cared about.

Like Allison, or Vanya, Klaus or Diego, hell, even Luther. And I think we all know who I was the most scared of losing. It's pretty apparent that I was terrified of losing Five. I always knew that one day, eventually, we'd both die, but I guess I hoped that I would be first. And I know, God, I know, that's so selfish of me. Let Five see myself die so I don't have to see him do the same thing.

So I guess I got what I deserved. Everyone says that karma's a bitch. 

The first person to get shot was Diego. He fell to the ground in a heap of blood and limbs. I cried out as Luther and Allison were shot as well, some of their blood splattering onto my legs. Klaus fell to his death next and Vanya was in quick succession. The real icing on the cake though was how I watched Five collapse to the ground beside me before hot, searing white pain tore through my body.

I barely had time to register that I was bleeding out on the ground. I grunted, looking towards the entrance of the barn to spot who had shot all of us.

The Handler, I thought weakly. Of course.

"Five," I croaked, looking over at my lover. His eyes were glued wide open, mouth open in shock. It took me a second to register that he wasn't moving. "Five," I said again.

He gasped, looking up at me suddenly. His breaths were shallow, barely there. I smiled softly, but it was quickly gone when Five wheezed. I knew, I fucking knew, that with his very last breath, Five used it to tell me, "Wednesday, you have always been more than just a dream to me."

He fell limp, eyes closed peacefully, face turned towards me. "Five?" I whispered. And, despite the pain that accompanied the action, I reached out to feel his pulse.

You can't really do that if there's no pulse to feel in the first place.

A choked up sob left my mouth. Blood bubbled up in my throat, spilling down the side of my cheek. Five's wedding ring was bloodied from where it had landed on top of his gunshot wound, right over his stomach.

When I looked around at the rest of the Hargreeves, I only made myself want to cry more. Allison and Luther were laying motionless on the ground, a small hole in the middle of Luther's forehead. Vanya was buried in the hay, so I couldn't see her face. Klaus's hair had fallen over his face, but his hands were sprawled outwards, his familiar Hello and Goodbye tattoos facing upwards.