Chapter 3: The Great Percy Jackson is Dead

The group of heavily armed teenagers in the woods froze as they heard a cry of anger in the distance. It wasn't close, but it wasn't exactly far either. "We have you now, Prissy," one of the Ares campers sneered before leading the group in the direction of the scream.

In the rear of the party Jacob and Hannah exchanged a small look of panic, if the group found Percy they weren't sure what would happen. "Can you use the mist to create a dead body, or make it look like Percy is being attacked?" Jacob whispered out of the corner of his mouth.

"Of course I can," a small smile gracing Hannah's face. "Don't you know who you're talking to?"

"No, am I supposed to know who you are?" Jacob joked.

Hannah giggled a little bit while slapping his arm. "Come on, we need to be in the front if this is gonna work," she said, dragging him to the head of the party.

As they were walking through the trees Jacob noticed a small clearing up ahead, and pointed it out to Hannah. "This seems like a good spot," he said knowingly while twisting his ring to turn it into a bow.

Hannah merely nodded, concentration fully on manipulating the mist around them. As the group of campers reached the clearing "Percy" burst through the trees on their right, a Hellhound close behind.

"There he is!" one of the Ares campers shouted from behind the pair. "Get him!"

No Styx Sherlock, Jacob thought before drawing an arrow from his quiver. Giving a slight nod to Hannah he drew the string back, and fired. It was a clean shot, hitting "Percy" right in the heart as he turned to see the group of campers. Another shot followed close behind, immediately disintegrating the Hellhound. Percy fell to the ground, his mouth moving, but no sound came out. With a last gasp and dribble of blood coming out of his mouth, "Percy Jackson" stopped breathing. Jacob felt sick. He knew it wasn't really Percy, but it was so real looking that he couldn't help but feel that he had just murdered one of his best friends.

"What was that for?" one of the Ares campers yelled while shoving Jacob. "We could have taken him!"

"Percy is, was, the best swordsman the world has seen in the past 300 years," Jacob sighed. "He would have killed us all. This way, justice has been served. Let's go tell Annabeth the news, Percy Jackson is dead."

"Fine, the camper huffed," before turning and stalking back in the direction of the camp.

As everyone was leaving Hannah went up to Jacob and gave him a hug, squeezing tightly. It was only then that Jacob realized his hands were shaking. Tears fell from his eyes as he hugged back. Breaking the hug Hannah reached up and brushed the tears from Jacob's cheeks. "We did what we had to do, he's safe now," she said, giving him a small kiss on the cheek.

"I know, it just felt so real," Jacob replied, his voice shaking. Hannah merely nodded her head before grabbing his hand and walking with him back to camp.

#      #      #

It was about mid-morning by the time Percy came to a stop in front of an apartment building in New York, gasping and wheezing for breath. He had run all through the night, and was definitely feeling it. Walking inside Percy made his way to the elevator, taking it up to his mom's floor. Taking some deep breaths he walked up to an apartment door, and knocked. After a couple seconds the door flew open and a figure rushed out, crushing him in a hug. "Nice to see you too mom," Percy grunted.

Sally pulled away, tears streaming down her face. "Chiron told me you were dead," she sobbed.

"Well. . . I'm not."