Chapter 31: Moving On

Everybody looked at Nico expectantly as he delicately opened the envelope and pulled out a piece of paper. Using the torchlight, he looked at the paper, but then frowned. It was written in Latin, so Nico passed it to Hazel to be read.

So, if you guys are reading this, I guess that means my sun has set. I swear, I have better died doing something cool instead of just being hit by a bus or something lame like that. Also, if I find out anyone is sad or crying right now about me kicking the can, I will find a way out of the Underworld and come haunt you until the day you die.

This got a chuckle out of those gathered.

But seriously, please don't be sad. If the fates willed my string to be cut, then it was my time. I've accepted my death, and I want everyone hearing this to do the same. Besides, we'll see each other again. Well, assuming I don't get Asphodel of course.

Percy, my man, stay strong. You are the strongest guy I know, with your friends around you I know that you can get through anything. Just don't let Annabeth get you down, okay? She was a fool to let you go, and you deserve so much more than that sadistic Athena Spawn. In fact, a certain Daughter of Zeus comes to mind. Seriously man, you both like each other, just get together already!

Percy and Thalia blushed beet red while everyone giggled, this was the second time he had called them out.

Also, Thalia, thank you so much for all that you've done. You convinced Lady Artemis and the Hunt to at least let me stay without castration, and I am definitely very grateful for that.

Clara, I'm so sorry. Sorry I never visited you and mom, sorry we didn't get to spend more time together, and sorry that I wasn't there when that bastard entered your life. I was trying to protect you by staying away, but I see now that I was wrong to do so. I was a horrible brother, and a horrible son, I hope that you can forgive me in time. As a final parting gift I would like you to have Radium. Our dad gave it to me when I was little, and I want you to have it. May it serve and protect you as well as it did me. I know it will, you're already quite the archer, and I'm sure Thalia can help you master the spear.

The young auburn haired girl's eyes widened and mouth dropped open when Hazel read this. With a trembling hand Clara accepted the black ring and placed it on her right hand ring finger, the same finger her brother had kept it on. It then shrunk until it fit comfortably on her finger.

Hannah, I will always cherish the time we had together, and I hope you feel the same way. I'm sorry that the fates have caused me to leave you, but please, I beg of you, please move on. Don't be held back by me or my death. I want you to move on with your life. You are strong, and I know that you'll do amazing things. I want you to take my watch, may it protect you as well as it protected me. I may not be able to be at your side physically, but I hope this will serve you like it did me. I also have a request, please watch over Clara. She has no one else, and she really loves you. Please remember, I always loved you and I always will.

Hannah's thumb traced the face of the watch as she held it in her palm. Tears pricked her eyes as she listened to Hazel read. Even in death, Jacob was only worried about making sure everyone would be okay.

To everyone else, my deepest gratitude. Thank you for being my friends, and thank you for accepting me.

P.S. Nico, if you try to summon me I will slap you so hard you'll be visiting your dad in a whole new way.

Everyone chuckled at the thought of a ghostified Jacob trying smack Nico. After a while longer spent in silence an unspoken consensus was reached to head back to Camp Jupiter. Lingering wouldn't bring him back, it was time to move on. They would remember, of course, but they still had lives to lead. As they were walking Hannah was thinking, and she decided that there was really only one option open to her. There was only one way to watch over Clara, and it's not like there were any romantic prospects on the horizon.