Chapter 7: Awkward Thoughts

Oh Styx, Percy thought. He was glad that his face and eyes were covered, otherwise he would have given it away. "I don't know who you think I am, but Percy Jackson is dead."

"And how would you know?" Thalia questioned.

"I have a contact," Percy said darkly. "Now if you'll excuse me, I must be going." With that he turned and shattered the window with Riptide. He hated doing it, but it was either him or the window. Realizing what was about to happen the two Hunters lunged for him, but he was already out the window. Vaulting onto the street below they caught a glimpse of him running around the corner.

"I'm really getting tired of this boy," Artemis grumbled as they ran onto the busy sidewalk.

Thalia scanned the crowd for a glimpse of Percy. "There," she said to Artemis, pointing to a mop of messy black hair.

They started running towards Percy as he ducked into a gap in between some buildings. Dashing in after him they found him backing against a wall, sword held out in front of him. "Please, just leave me alone!" Percy begged. "I swear on the River Styx that I'm no threat to Olympus!" thunder rumbled to seal his oath. "Please, just let me live my life," he said desperately.

"Percy," Thalia started softly.

"Percy Jackson is dead!" he roared. "He died the night when his home abandoned him, when the people he loved turned on him!"

Thalia seemed taken aback, tears started welling in her eyes. "That's not true," she choked. "I never left you, your true friends never left you." Tears were streaming down her cheeks now.

Percy lowered his sword and slumped against the wall. "Please, just go. I know about the prophecy, but I can't help you. I won't help you, I'm not the Percy you remember," he said sadly, taking off his sunglasses and lowering the handkerchief around his face.

What Thalia and Artemis saw hurt them to the core. The eyes that had once been filled with laughter and happiness, were broken. Now they just swirled with extreme despair and anger.

"Perseus," Artemis said, stepping forward and aging back to her normal form. "There is no forgetting what has happened to you, but you need to move on."

Sliding down until he was sitting, Percy put his face in his hands. "I don't think I can, Lady Artemis," he mumbled.

Suddenly, without warning Percy jumped up and made a dash for the street. Caught by surprise, Artemis was barely able to tackle him before he made it to the sidewalk. He tried to throw her off, but she held on tightly. Growing sick of Percy's struggles Artemis put her hand around his neck, and squeezed. After a few seconds he slumped, unconscious. Lifting him, Thalia and Artemis carried him back to his motel room. Once inside Artemis used her powers to fix the window and door, leaving no trace of their struggle.

It was late afternoon now, and it had been hours since they had eaten. "You watch Perseus," Artemis ordered. "I will go acquire us some food."

Thalia sat in the chair, watching Percy. How could they do this to him! she fumed. He is the funniest, kindest, most loyal. . . No, stop it Thalia, she scolded herself. You are a Hunter of Artemis, you can't be thinking about a boy like this. Percy groaned and stirred on the bed, and Thalia rose from her chair to see if he was okay. His eyes snapped open, and he jumped off the bed, scanning his surroundings. Thalia stalked over to him, and Percy took a step back as fear flew across his face.

"Thalia," he started. "I-" he was then cut off by a slap from Thalia.

"That's for leaving and not telling me you were alive!" she said angrily before enveloping him in a tight hug. Percy stiffened before returning it. Thalia couldn't hold it back anymore, two years of grief and pain came flooding out as she sobbed into Percy's chest. "We thought you were dead, and I missed you so much," Thalia managed to choke out. The pair sunk to the floor as Thalia continued to soak Percy's jacket with tears. Not knowing what to do Percy stroked Thalia's hair in an attempt to calm her down. After a few minutes, she managed to stop crying and look up at Percy. Her eyes were puffy and face tear streaked as she stared into his eyes. "Promise me you'll never leave me again," she whispered.