Chapter 40: Under New Management

Artemis rose, and headed towards the entrance to the tent, causing Percy and Thalia to die the same. Outside, the rest of the Hunt was just finishing a couple chores as the sun set over the camp. Noticing their patron standing in the center of the circle of tents silently, all of the girls gathered around. Nervous glances were thrown around the gathered group, none had failed to notice how embraced Percy and Thalia looked, nor the fact that Artemis held the silver circlet in her hand instead of it sitting upon Thalia's brow. They had a feeling about what was going on, and they were afraid. The girls of the Hunt considered Percy and Thalia as their older brother and sister, the last thing that they wanted was to see something happen to them. "M'Lady," Atalanta hesitantly started. "What's going on?"

"I am afraid that I have some grave news," Artemis said sadly. "Two of our band, have broken the sacred oath." The Hunt tensed, this when the part when something terrible happened to the parties involved. "However, for once I approve and have decided to overlook this and allow them to remain in the Hunt." Everyone stared in shock. Artemis, forgiving? Nay, approving? This was unheard of, the goddess must truly care for Percy and Thalia if she was willing to overlook the broken oaths. "Unfortunately, the situation requires that I find a new lieutenant. Atalanta, please step forward." Breathlessly, the demigod did so. "Do you accept?" Artemis asked, extending the silver circlet to Atalanta.

"I do," she said breathlessly as she accepted the circlet and placed it upon her brow. Artemis then turned and walked back to her tent, leaving everyone to congratulate their new lieutenant.

#      #      #

Thalia lay in her tent reviewing the events of the day. It was crazy, not only did Artemis not turn her and Percy into some sort of wild animal, she approved. She approved! With a smile on her face, Thalia drifted off to sleep.

Thalia found herself in a valley surrounded by mountains. A slight hill was in the center of the valley, a Roman-style fort perched on the top. Above it, some sort of black smoke seemed to be rising from the fort and gathering above it. The hill also seemed to be surrounded by some sort of writhing moat, but then Thalia looked closer. What she saw sickened her, the fort was surrounded by monsters. There seemed to be thousands of them. Then, Thalia heard a loud stopping behind her. Turning around, she saw the full might of the Roman legion marching towards the fort. The five cohorts were pushing siege towers and carrying ladders, with the Hunt and Greek defectors following behind. Standing to the side the attacking force marched by, and she could see the monsters mobilizing to defend. She also saw the gates to the fort open, allowing a stream of Celestial Bronze-clad demigods to exit. After a moment volleys of silver arrows started flying into the monsters, and the Romans formed ranks in front of their equipment. Thalia wanted to help more than anything, but she seemed rooted on the spot and could only watch. At first the battle seemed to be going good for her friends; however, that didn't last long. The battle quickly turned into a massacre as the black smoke that had been amassing over the fort streamed down the hill and started dropping demigods as it touched them. Within minutes, every member of the Hunt and Legion had fallen.

Finally able to move, Thalia slowly strolled through the field of dead bodies. Each step brought greater sadness, until she saw something that made her choke back a sob. Sinking to her knees, tears started streaming down Thalia's face. "No, no," she whispered before her voice rose to a shout. "No, Percy, no! You promised you wouldn't leave!" she sobbed as she crumpled into his chest. "Please don't leave me," Thalia whimpered out as her sobs died down to sniffles.

"You know," an eerie scratchy, yet smooth, voice said behind her. "Things don't have to end this way, but they will with the current course of events."