Chapter 32: War Games

The sun was starting to dip towards the horizon when Percy and Thalia left the Garden of Bacchus, happier than either had been in a long time. "We need to keep this a secret," Thalia said as they were walking up the Via Praetoria towards Camp Jupiter.

"Unfortunately," Percy agreed. "But I wish we didn't."

"I do too, but we can't let anyone know we've broken our oaths or we would be thrown out of the Hunt," Thalia sighed.

"Well, whatever happens, I'll be there for you," Percy said. Thalia gave him a small smile, and together they walked into Camp Jupiter.

Dinner was in full swing by the time Percy and Thalia joined the rest of the demigods. Noticing that the Hunt was in the corner that they had claimed as their own, Percy and Thalia headed over there. "Nice of you two to join us," Atalanta teased.

"I was showing Thalia around New Rome," Percy defended.

Atalanta raised her eyebrows. "Just the two of you, alone?"

"Well, I didn't want to leave a trail of castrated men. So yes, just the two of us," Percy sassed back.

Before Atalanta could send another jab at the couple, Hannah walked over, slightly rubbing her right forearm.

"Geez, you weren't kidding when you said these things hurt!" Hannah commented as she sat down.

Percy was confused for a moment, but then he noticed the area she was rubbing and the flashes of black between her fingers. "They didn't," Percy said incredulously.

Hannah shrugged her shoulders. "They did," she said before revealing the tattoo on her forearm. At the top were two crossed torches, and below that was the symbol SPQR and three bars.

"So, you're a member of the Legion now?" Thalia questioned with a frown.

"Technically, yes, I've been fully inducted as a member of the fifth cohort," Hannah explained. "It's mostly honorary though. It's pretty much for helping Percy for the last three years. Reyna did say I could still join the Hunt though."

"You're joining up?" Percy questioned.

"Next time I have the chance," Hannah nodded."I intend to keep my promise, and it's not like I have any romantic prospects anyways."

"Looks like we're going to have a new sister!" Atalanta cheered, the rest of the Hunt joining in. The rest of dinner was spent laughing, joking, and glaring at any boys that came too close.

Once dinner was wrapping up, a horn sounded throughout the Dining Hall. Everyone fell silent as the officers at the officer's table rose. "The engineers have constructed a fort for tonight's War Games," Reyna announced. "The fifth cohort and the Hunters of Artemis, who asked to participate tonight, will defend. First, second, third, and fourth cohorts will attack. Now, let the games begin!" The Romans cheered as they rushed to the outskirts of the room to grab their gear.

"See you guys in the fort!" Hannah called to the Hunt as she ran after Hazel and the rest of her cohort.

#      #      #

Hannah shifted nervously as she stood on the wall next to one of the water cannons. Jacob's shield felt awkward on her arm. She was used to the much smaller Greek style, so Jacob's felt oversized to her. It was apparent to Hannah that she would have to figure out how to switch the watch-shield to the Greek form Jacob had used before he discovered that he was a Roman. Hannah paled as she saw what the other four cohorts had at their disposal, they were prepared for a siege. The third and fourth cohorts were advancing towards the south gate in Testudo with Hannibal and a battering ram. Meanwhile, the first cohort was advancing on the southwest with a siege tower and maybe half a dozen ladders, while the second cohort was advancing on the southeast with the same equipment, also in Testudo. In response, a good two-thirds of the fifth cohort lined the walls under the command of Hazel, while the rest stood just inside the gate under the command of Dakota. The Hunt also lined the walls with Percy commanding the eastern flank while Thalia commanded the western.