Chapter 11: A Long Lost Friend Returns

Atalanta stumbled back into camp, only to find that Periplanómenos had already vanished into the night. There was only one option open to her, inform Lady Artemis of what had just transpired and face the consequences.

"M'Lady?" Atalanta questioned from outside the tent.

After a few moments the flap opened, revealing a confused Artemis. "What is it?" she asked, concern in her eyes.

"It's about Periplanómenos. . ." Atalanta trailed off.

"You best come inside," Artemis said, stepping to the side and allowing her hunter to enter.

Once they were situated upon the floor, Atalanta spoke. "He's, he's gone," she said, avoiding her lady's eyes.

"What do you mean 'gone'?"

So, Atalanta explained everything. How she had gone to kill him, but couldn't bring herself to do it once she saw how broken he was. She then finished by sharing who she suspected he was.

Artemis heaved a deep sigh. "I am very disappointed in your actions tonight. However, I am grateful that you showed restraint. We will figure out a punishment later, but for now our focus must be on finding young Perseus."

"Of course M'Lady," Atalanta responded, bowing her head. "So I was right, Periplanómenos is Percy Jackson?"

"He is," Artemis nodded. "However, I expect that this information will be kept within the confines of this tent," she said, giving Atalanta a pointed look. "Very few know that he is still alive, and it is vital that we keep it this way."

"I understand M'Lady," Atalanta responded as she stood up.

"Please send Thalia to me," Artemis requested. "We have much to discuss."

Bowing her head once again, she left the tent. Not even a minute later Thalia walked in, still rubbing sleep from her eyes. "What is it, M'Lady?" she asked sleepily.

"I believe you should sit down for this," she said, gesturing to the floor. "Perseus is gone," Artemis stated once Thalia was seated.

"What!" Thalia exclaimed loudly, now wide awake.

"He's left Thalia," Artemis said softly, hand on Thalia's leg in an attempt to comfort her. She then explained what Atalanta had relayed to her. The further she got into the story, the more tears could be seen on Thalia's face. By the time she reached the end, Thalia was silently sobbing and pacing in anger.

"He told me he would never leave me again, he promised!" Thalia shouted, while sobbing. "He promised," she whispered, collapsing in a heap on the floor.

Making her way over to her lieutenant Artemis brought her into a tight embrace, holding her to her chest as Thalia wet her shirt with tears. "Do not grieve," she reassured, stroking Thalia's hair. "We shall see him again," tears were now pricking at Artemis' eyes as well. It pained her to see Thalia this way, pained her to think that Percy had broken his promise, pained her to think that Percy would abandon what few people he had, and lastly, it pained her to think that he would abandon her.

#      #      #

It had been nearly six months since Percy had disappeared again, and clearly he had learned a few tricks from his short time in the Hunt. They couldn't find a trace of him anywhere. The only thing the Hunters knew for certain was that he was not dead, Nico had confirmed as much. In the time since Periplanómenos had disappeared Artemis, Thalia, and Atalanta had all changed. Artemis had grown fanatical, pushing her hunters to the brink in order to find him. Thalia had grown cold and distant, snapping at anyone who talked to her. They hadn't seen her this way since her cousin, and one of her best friends, Percy Jackson, had died. Lastly, Atalanta seemed as if she carried a great guilt upon herself, like she blamed herself for what had happened. The sudden change confused the rest of the Hunters, they didn't understand how one boy could have this kind of effect on the three strongest girls they knew.