Chapter 8: Together Again

"Oh, um, I mean, greetings Periplanómenos," the boy stammered as the girl next to him facepalmed.

Percy did his best to keep a straight face. "What have I told you about the nicknames Son of Apollo?" he said sternly. Thalia almost lost it at this.

"Um, to not to?" he replied, sounding unsure of his answer.

Percy and Thalia couldn't hold it in any more, they burst out laughing. "It's fine Jake, she knows who I am."

"Oh," he replied, rubbing the back of his neck. "So. . . how have you been?"

The girl next to him slapped the back of his head. "What do you think, he's clearly been captured by the Hunters!"

Percy chuckled at this. "Well, I haven't been castrated, yet. So, I'd say I'm doing pretty good. How are things for you?"

"They've been better," Jacob sighed. "The tyrant has tightened her grip since the prophecy,"

"We would head to Camp Jupiter, but. . ." Hannah trailed off.

"They think I killed you," Jacob finished.

Thalia looked guilty at this. "Look, about that," she started. "I'm sorry for the way I treated you guys, I know now that you were protecting him."

"No need to apologize," Jacob replied.

"We don't blame you, you thought we had killed one of your best friends," Hannah added.

"The way you treated us was completely justified," Jacob finished.

"So when can we expect to see you in chains on Olympus?" Hannah asked.

"Not until the Winter Solstice," Percy answered. "Artemis wants to keep me here for a while."

The group conversed for well over an hour, catching up on old times. With the rift between them healed, Thalia felt whole for the first time since Percy had disappeared.

Everyone said their goodbyes, and with the call ended Percy and Thalia sat in silence for a while. "We need to tell Nico," Thalia suddenly said.

Percy nodded slowly. "I guess so," he said nervously.

"Great! I'll be right back," Thalia said as she jumped up and ran out of the tent.

#      #      #

Artemis was sitting in her tent polishing her bow when she sensed a figure approaching the entrance. "Enter," she called. "Ah, Atalanta, I've been expecting you," Artemis said as the girl entered and sat across from her.

"M'Lady, the other girls and I are concerned about Periplanómenos. We don't like having a boy in the camp," Atalanta stated.

"I understand your fears," Artemis said with empathy. "However, we can trust him."

"Forgive me m'lady, but how do you know? He hides his identity from us."

"I both trust and respect him. In time, he may reveal his identity. However, until that day comes you shall have to trust the judgement of myself and Thalia," Artemis responded as she turned back to polishing her bow, marking the conversation as over.

Atalanta left the tent grumbling. I'll get him out or find his identity, if it's the last thing I do, she swore to herself.

#      #      #

Hannah and Jacob were heading back to the cabins, hand in hand. As they exited the forest and saw the camp, the happiness they felt from talking with Percy and Thalia diminished. Both couldn't help but remember what camp used to be like. It used to be so full of joy, an aura of happiness seemed to float in the air. Now, all that could be felt and seen was fear. Reaching the center of the cabins, the pair stopped, staring at the hearth. It had been cold since that fateful night on Olympus. Not even an ember ever glowed. The message was clear, Lady Hestia no longer considered Camp Half-Blood a place of hope or a home.