Chapter 9: Oaths and Dreams

The trio of heroes walked back into camp, joking about when they first met. Well, Percy and Thalia were joking while Nico was blushing furiously. "I was just a kid!" he exclaimed hotly.

"Ya, a cute one," Thalia said, grinning. Percy let out a laugh upon hearing this.

That was then they all noticed Artemis sitting at the entrance of Percy's tent sharpening some arrows. Sure, she could do it with her powers, but Artemis found that doing it by hand was very relaxing.

Percy paled at the sight, and tried to sneak away. "Nice of you to finally return, Perseus," Artemis said as she set the arrow she had been sharpening down. "Come, we have things we need to discuss," she ordered while starting to walk towards her tent. "This concerns you as well lieutenant. As for you young Di'Angelo, I suggest you wait in Perseus' tent for the time being," Artemis tossed over her shoulder.

Nico followed Artemis' suggestion, while Percy and Thalia scrambled after Artemis. Entering her tent, they sat across from her on the fur covered floor.

"What is it that you wished to discuss, M'Lady?" Thalia questioned.

Artemis sighed. "The rest of my Hunters are concerned about a male being in the camp. I have assured them that young Perseus here is trustworthy, but they are not so sure. They are having a difficult time trusting someone they do not know the true identity of."

Percy's face hardened. "Lady Artemis, with all due respect, do not make me lose my identity, it is all that I have left. I shall reveal who I am if and when I am ready."

Artemis was both surprised and saddened by this statement. "I understand," she started. "However, that was not what I was going to suggest. Rather, I was going to suggest that you take an oath to not flirt or make advances of any sort towards my hunters."

"I can do that," Percy nodded. "I would never do that, I hold too much respect for them. Besides, I plan on never pursuing romance again, all it has ever brought me is heartache."

Both huntresses stared at Percy, both astonished and saddened by this revelation. Thalia's heart broke at the thought of never being with Percy, while Artemis was oddly sad.. For some reason, she despaired at the fact that Percy believed that he would never find love again.

They were shaken from their thoughts as Percy started his oath. "I, Perseus Achilles Jackson, also known as Periplanómenos, swear to never make an unwanted advance on a member of the Hunters of Artemis in a romantic or sexual way. I swear this oath on the River Styx," thunder rumbled in the distance, signalling his oath as complete and binding. "That good?" Percy asked Artemis.

Artemis nodded. "It is done. Return to your tent for the time being, I shall come and fetch you later."

"Of course, Lady Artemis" Percy said with a slight bow after he stood up.

Thalia got up to leave as well. "Stay for a moment, Thalia," Artemis ordered. "We have something to discuss." she sat back down with a questioning look on her face, she had a suspicion about what Artemis wanted to discuss. Artemis took a deep breath. "When you joined the Hunt after the situation with Atlas, you informed me about your crush on young Perseus Jackson.

"That was in the past," Thalia interrupted, her face growing red with a mixture of embarrassment and anger.

"That may be so, but you are still my lieutenant and it is my duty to ensure that you are not distracted by a boy. I would hate to lose you, I hate losing any of my girls," Artemis said. "Besides, I am not entirely convinced you have moved past Perseus, don't think I haven't noticed the way you have been looking at each other the last couple of days." Thalia couldn't look Artemis in the eye. "Do not worry, my friend," Artemis said as she placed her hand on Thalia's. "I am not angry, or even disappointed. I am merely concerned. I respect Perseus, and if you so choose I would let you leave the Hunt to be with him. However, I am concerned that if you pursue these feelings then it will just end in heartbreak. You heard Perseus, he doesn't think that he can ever love again." Artemis explained. Thalia nodded sadly and walked out.