Chapter 21: Heart to Hearts

Jacob and Hannah stood there in shock, they couldn't believe what had just happened. First, Annabeth had the audacity to demand they be returned like some kind of object! That wasn't even the craziest part though, the Hunt had actually defended them! As Jacob was just standing there, trying to make sense of what had just occurred, Apollo walked over. As he walked over Apollo shifted slightly, becoming slightly sterner and light armor appearing on his body. "Hey dad," Jacob said as his dad pulled him into a hug.

They stood in the embrace for a few moments, before the god broke it. Concern was all over his face as he finally spoke.

"My son is injured

His eye is a giant hole

What happened to you?"

Jacob wrapped his arm around Hannah's waist to pull her closer. "After we were rescued from where we were being kept, monsters found us. We, we ran, but they caught up to us. We fought, and would have died if not for Percy and the Hunt. We'd- we-d be dead," Jacob choked out. "A Hellhound got my eye. . ."

"And a dracaena got my hand," Hannah finished.

Apollo's mouth opened and closed a few times, and then he noticed a young girl peeking around from behind Jacob's legs. "Well, hello. Who's this?" he said kindly.

She ducked away from him shyly as Apollo crouched down to be eye level with her. "Hey, it's okay," Jacob comforted as he also crouched down. "This is our dad."

"I'm sorry," Apollo said. "I wanted to help, but I couldn't. I wish-" He was interrupted as a small pair of arms threw themselves.

Jacob felt a hand on his shoulder, and looked up to see a smiling Hannah with Artemis standing next to her. He stood, Hannah's metallic hand moving down to grasp his own as he did so. She rested her head on his shoulder as Artemis spoke. "I may not approve of my brother's actions with women," she said. "But one thing I have learned over the millennia is that he truly cares for his children."

Looking around Jacob noticed Percy off to the side talking with Reyna and Thalia. "If you'll excuse me," he said, deciding to give his family a moment. He started walking away, and Hannah slipped her hand out of Jacob's. "Are you coming?" he asked, confused.

"Not yet," Hannah replied. "I have something I want to ask your dad about."

#     #     #

Percy was beyond angry at Annabeth's words. How dare that, that. . . bitch demand his friends like that! Then, the most amazing thing happened. Thalia, the girl he would like to consider his best friend, had stepped in front of Hannah and Jacob to defend them. Behind his sunglasses Percy's eyes widened, and his chest swelled with something that he didn't quite recognize. Percy also spoke and stepped in front of his friends, standing so close to Thalia that their shoulders jostled each other. It was a good thing that he had the bandanna covering his face, because Percy started blushing up a storm at the contact.

After Annabeth had left Percy broke off from the group, standing off to the side in an attempt to process what had happened. Seeing Annabeth again had brought forth feelings that he hadn't felt in a long time. He was angry, sad, but, most of all, he remembered the love he had felt for her. This was the girl he had gone on many quests with, the girl he had given up godhood for, girl he had fallen into Tartarus for, and the girl he had thought that he would spend the rest of his life with. Do I. . . still love her, even after everything she has done? Percy pondered.

Percy was then interrupted from his thoughts by a figure walking towards him. "Lord Hades," he said with a bow.

"Periplanómenos," Hades replied. "I wish to speak with you, privately."