Chapter 10: Shattered

It had been almost two weeks since Percy had been found by Artemis and Thalia, and the Hunt was still camping in the Uintahs. Although they were no longer just outside of Coalville, they had moved deeper into the mountain range the day after Percy arrived. Percy hadn't talked to Jacob and Hannah since that day either, and he was getting worried

Percy sat next to Thalia, sharpening some arrows, sunglasses and bandanna on so that he wouldn't be recognized. "I'm worried about them, Thalia," he said. "It's been almost two weeks!"

"I'm sure they'll call Kelp Head. I'm sure they just can't get away right now," Thalia reasoned.

"That's not the problem Pinecone Face," Percy said, Thalia raising an eyebrow in response as she looked over at him. "I can't get through to them. The Iris Message never makes it through." Thalia scrunched her eyebrows together with worry, she hadn't heard that part yet. It concerned her too, not many things could block an IM.

Unfortunately, before their conversation could go any further Percy and Thalia were interrupted. "Get away from our lieutenant, boy," Atalanta spat

Percy was glad he had the sunglasses to hide his glare. "And why is that?" he answered in the politest voice possible. "Last I checked I was just doing my chores and having an innocent conversation with Thalia here." Percy was sick of being harassed by Atalanta. Since he had arrived she had done nothing but threaten him and try to find out his identity.

"Because if you don't I shall tell Lady Artemis that you were flirting with her, and then she shall have you castrated," she smugly replied.

Thalia snorted. She knew as well as Percy that nothing would happen. "Go ahead," Percy responded. "You tell Lady Artemis that."

"Tell me what?" a twelve year old auburn haired girl said as she walked over.

"This boy was flirting with Thalia," Atalanta said triumphantly.

Artemis raised an eyebrow. "Is that so?" she said before turning to Thalia. "Was Periplanómenos flirting with you?"

"No M'Lady. We were merely having a conversation about some Iris Messages not reaching some of his friends while sharpening these arrows," Thalia replied.

Artemis turned back to Atalanta. "I'm afraid you are mistaken Atalanta, but I appreciate your concern for a fellow huntress. Carry on everyone," she said as she walked away.

"Now if you'll excuse me," Percy said to Atalanta as he stood up. "I believe I have some wood to gather." Walking into the forest, Percy left a growling Atalanta behind.

This trend continued for months, each attempt getting more elaborate than the last. Atalanta had tried everything she could think of. She had trapped him, snuck into his tent at night to try and see his face purposely misled him to do something wrong, even made claims that he had done things with the other girls in order to convince Artemis that he was just like every other male. Each attempt was more dangerous for Percy than the last, he had almost died or lost his manhood many times. However, the worst had happened just a week ago in early November.

Atalanta had been sure it would work. Artemis would kill him or turn him into a Jackalope for sure. At the very least, the other girls would kill him or drive him out. She planned it carefully, waiting for a night when Artemis was away piloting the Moon Chariot across the night sky. The time was finally right as the dead of night settled over the camp and everyone was asleep. Tearing her clothes with her hands and partially undressing, she let out an ear-piercing scream. Smiling to herself, she curled up in the fetal position and started sobbing.

Hunters rushed into her tent to see what was wrong. "Periplanómenos- He, he tried to- he tried to violate me!" Atalanta sobbed when asked what was wrong. With screams of outrage many of the girls stormed over to where Periplanómenos' tent was at the edge of camp, while a couple ran over to the supply tent. Nearly a dozen hunters dragged a struggling Periplanómenos out of his tent, face already starting to swell from places he had been hit. Taking him over to a tree, they chained him up with Celestial Bronze chains they had brought from the supply tent, beating him extensively in the process. It wasn't the first time they had done this to a boy.

Many of the hunters had brought out weapons at this point, and were stalking towards Periplanómenos, anger clearly evident on their faces. By this point Thalia had made her way to the front of the crowd, the newest hunter, Clara, close behind.

"Stop it!" Thalia bellowed. This caused the Hunters to freeze as they stared at their Lieutenant in bewilderment. "Think for a moment, he made an oath on the Styx!"

"Maybe this is the consequence!" someone shouted from the back. With a roar of approval the crowd surged forward again, only to find Thalia and Clara still blocking their path.

"Wait!" Thalia called again. "Normally I'd be with you on castrating and then killing this boy slowly, but we need to think here. Lady Artemis has said she trusts this boy. As such, we should wait for her before we pass judgement!"

Everyone grumbled at this, but accepted it. None wanted to anger Artemis, or Thalia for that matter. Many attempts were made on Percy's life that night, and if it hadn't been for Thalia guarding him, many would have succeeded. Eventually, morning came and Lady Artemis came back to the camp. After a long interrogation session - in which Artemis almost killed him - and another oath on the River Styx later Periplanómenos was released. He was confined to his tent, though.

Percy lay in his tent, wishing he could see the stars. After a moment of consideration, Percy decided to ignore the condition set by Artemis and go outside his prison.

Walking a short way to another clearing, Percy gazed up at the stars. "I don't know what to do Zoë," he said to her constellation. "Nothing in my life ever seems to go right, and I feel all alone." Tears started welling in his eyes at this point. "I've failed everyone, everybody around me dies. You, Bianca, Lee, Charlie, Silena, Ethan, Luke, Leo, and countless others. I failed them, and now everyone else hates me!" Percy was openly sobbing and practically screaming at this point. Collapsing to the ground, Percy put his head in his hands and sobbed. Up above The Huntress flashed silver, as if Zoë was trying to comfort her grieving friend.

Behind Percy Atalanta walked into the clearing, dagger in hand. She was determined to end this once and for all. "Who are you," she growled into his ear, dagger held ready to slit his throat.

"A nobody, a failure," Percy said sadly.

"Tell me now," Atalanta said hotly. "Or I will kill you."

"Go ahead," Percy whispered. "You'd be doing everyone a favor."

Atalanta paused in shock, that was not the answer she expected to hear. Realising she had relaxed he grip she tightened it once again, drawing blood with the edge of her dagger. Atalanta waited for Periplanómenos to fight back so she would have an excuse to kill him, while Percy waited for her to end his pain. Both waited in vain for nearly ten minutes.

"Are you going to kill me or not?" Percy finally said.

"No," Atalanta sighed, bringing the knife away from his throat.

Percy turned to face her. "I'm sorry," he said. "I've caused a lot of trouble for the Hunt since I've been here, I'll go now."

He turned and started walking towards camp, intent on packing his things and leaving. "Please, just tell me who you are," Atalanta asked as she grabbed his arm.

Turning to face her again, Percy thought a moment before answering. "I was once considered a hero who accomplished many things in order to protect his family. Now, I am nothing. I am nothing without my loved ones, so helping young demigods is all have left, I really am The Wanderer." With that he turned and disappeared among the trees, leaving a stunned Atalanta behind. She only knew of one demigod who could possibly fit the description Periplanómenos gave, but he was supposed to be dead.

A/N: Well that escalated quickly. I didn't mean for it to get that dark that fast, but it just kinda happened :/  This chapter was a little shorter than usual, but it is important nonetheless. I haven't showcased much of the side of Percy that has been completely shattered by the betrayal, so I thought it was about time I did.

Anyways, hope this didn't get you too down and that y'all have a great day!