Chapter 18: Silver Lining

WAIT! Okay, now that I have your attention, I have a couple of things to ask. 

1) What have you guys thought of the story so far? I would love to hear your thoughts! 

2) I've been thinking about sketching a picture to put at the beginning of each chapter that would depict a major scene. Thoughts?

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

#     #     #

Another couple of days passed, and Jacob and Hannah had forced Percy to push their cots together so that they could be close. They never let go of one another, always holding hands or something of that sort. When sleeping, Hannah would cuddle into Jacob's chest and he would hold her close. It reminded Percy of how he was with her after Tartarus. He didn't know what they had been through, but it could not have been good. On the fourth day Percy, Thalia, Hannah, and Jacob sat together, just talking. Hannah was leaning back against Jacob's chest, and he was resting his chin on top of her head.

"What happened to you guys?" Percy suddenly blurted out. "You disappeared for like eight months."

"We, we don't really want to talk about it," Hannah replied. "Not yet."

Before the conversation could progress any further, Gracey entered the tent followed by a rough looking girl of maybe twelve.

"Hey Gracey, Elizabeth," Percy greeted.

"I, um, brought the items you requested," Elizabeth said shyly as she lifted the small sack she was carrying.

"Great, bring them over!" Percy exclaimed before turning to his injured friends. "You guys are gonna love this." He was bouncing like a small child as she brought the bag over and opened it, clearly Percy was excited about whatever it was.

Reaching in, she pulled out something very familiar to Jacob. "My glasses!" he exclaimed. "You fixed them! Thank you so much!"

"I reinforced them with some Olympian Silver, so they should hold up in combat better now," Elizabeth explained as she handed them to Jacob.

"Thank You!" he said before putting them on. "I can see again!" Jacob cheered as he looked around. His eyes narrowed when they landed on Thalia. "What did you do to your hair!" he blurted out.

"Jacob!" Hannah scolded as Thalia turned red and started fidgeting.

"I, I grew it out?" Thalia replied.

"Well I like it," he said resolutely. "It suits you."

Thalia blushed as Elizabeth cleared her throat. "Anyways, this was pretty difficult to make," she said as she pulled a hunk of silver metal. "I hope it works." Elizabeth then revealed what it was she was holding, a prosthetic hand made from Olympian Silver.

"Oh, wow," Hannah breathed. "Thank you, thank you so much!" she whispered. Jacob patted her knee in support, a huge smile across his face.

Gracey came over and unwrapped the bandage before helping Elizabeth attach the new hand. "There, that should do it," Gracey said after about fifteen minutes. "Try it out."

Everybody stared intently at the hand. After a few moments the fingers closed into a fist before opening again. "It works!" Percy cheered.

"This is so weird," Hannah said. "It's like I can feel things from it, but I can also tell that it's not my hand."

"It'll just take some getting used to," Gracey reassured.

"I'm just glad it works!" Elizabeth said, greatly relieved. "It took me forever to figure out the joints, and Victoria to figure out how exactly to create a spell that would allow feeling."