chapter 23

Lisha curled her body in her egg chair as she stared at the clear morning sky on the balcony of her room, she'd woken up with the urge to laze around throughout the day and that was what she intended to do, it was two days till she resumed work at MAPLE, and she was determined to make the most out of it by taking a break from any chores.

"Hey," a voice whispered to her ears and that got her startled, she turned to the person behind her in astonishment.

"Mark!" Lisha shrilled before throwing the remains of the cookies she'd been eating at him.

"You didn't have to throw that," Mark said with a small smile as he pulled out a chair from under the round table opposite Lisha.

"Seems Kemi has finally released you oo, the one that you remember me today, should we kill chicken?" Lisha shouted in excitement as she got up from her egg chair and jumped on Mark who was still balancing himself on the other plastic chair.

"I just hope you won't break my spinal cord and choke the life out of me," Mark voiced out when he realized she clung unto him like life support.

"I may," Lisha replied before withdrawing from the hug.

Mark smiled before talking, "You mentioning chicken makes me crave for it," he admitted as he looked up at Lisha's beaming standing figure.

Lisha placed her index finger on her mouth before responding, "Come to think of it, I'm also craving for grilled chicken, let's go and cook," she took his hand and dragged him up.

"You don't even have weight again, it's like Kemi has been punishing you or did you offend your parents at home?" Lisha queried as she dragged him into her room.

Mark shook his head with smiles on his face. Lisha would never change, he thought.

"Where are you taking me to?" Mark inquired as soon as he realized Lisha wanted to open the door.

She looked up at his face, "It's not like I'm taking you to a cave or something, if I even want to do rituals, you're too small for me to use."

Mark guffawed before she continued, "I want grilled chicken, so, I'm taking you to the kitchen," she proceeded to open the door, but he stopped her.

"What?" Lisha queried while eyeing him.

"Is there chicken at home?"

She shook her head in response.

"That means you'll have to go to the market, we can eat grilled chicken some other time, let's manage what we have at home."

Lisha dropped his hand, she pursed her lips before walking back to the balcony.

"You're not eating anything here today, it's better you go back to Kemi that sent you here, she told you to spy on me, right?" Lisha blabbed as she sat down on the egg chair.

Mark shook his head in wonderment as a smile crept up his face.

"Why would she tell me to spy on you?"

She shrugged before opening her palms, "Who knows? You visiting me after all these years, surely, there's something behind it."

"How did it become years? We do see each other," he countered.

She rolled her eyes, "Whatever, the question is why are you here?"

Mark laughed.

"So, I can't visit my good friend again, the one I've known since forever."

Lisha turned to him with squinted eyes, "Which forever? You were my seatmate in secondary school and it just happened that we had the same dream and studied the same course in the same University, so, how does that make it since forever?"

He smiled before responding, "Your explanation made it since forever."

She brushed it off with a wave of her palm before adjusting her sitting position so as to look at him squarely.

"Oya, say the truth, I know you came here with an intention, it's not like I'm going to beat you to stupor…"

Mark lifted his brows, she smiled before continuing, "Okay, if it's something stupid, I might end up beating you to stupor, just spill it!"

He cleared his throat and opened his mouth to talk but Lisha beat him to it.

"Why do you have to clear your throat? Just pray you don't end up saying something stupid oo," she warned.

Mark chuckled before talking, "Anyway, I came here because of you and Jimi."

The excitement in her reduced, she knew what he was talking about, but she decided to play along.

"It's not like Jimi lives here or even in this area, we are only four in this house ooo and a guy is excluded."

Mark smiled, "I know that, I'm here because of what's going on between you guys."

She arched her brows and folded her hands beneath her bosom.

"Did he tell you something is going on between us? Why do people lie gan?"

"He never said that and no one said that, you know what I'm talking about, so, can we just move on to that?"

She pouted her lips.

"Move on to what?"

"I know you turned him down."

She shrugged.

"Why did you do that? I'm certain you like this guy, so, why are trying to be a hard nut to crack?"

She sighed before talking, "You of all person know we are not compatible whereas Nikki likes him."

Mark scoffed.

"First, why aren't you compatible, you have your work, he has his, you're one of the best designers and you're independent, so, why are you degrading yourself, you are beautiful and you're yourself, you don't pretend to be what you're not, I don't know why you think so low of yourself, fine, your family doesn't care about you that much but that doesn't mean you can't be loved, it doesn't mean you're not privileged to love and live your life to the fullest, Lisha, you have to stop overthinking, stop saying you're too short or skinny, God gave you the perfect stature he knows would suit you and your match made from heaven would love, so, stop stressing yourself on unnecessary frivolities, you just have to love yourself and let go of this unhealthy mindset of yours," he advised.

Lisha sighed before looking heavenward for guidance, seconds later, she turned to him.

"But, what of…"

He cut in, "Nikki, you don't have to sacrifice your happiness for any body more so someone that doesn't care for you, she's only being selfish, I know Nikki doesn't love him, it's mere infatuation or maybe she's just trying to prove that she's better than you, stop belittling yourself, she can't get everything she wants,  forget about her and go for what your heart wants, I know you want it, you want your happiness, free yourself from all this."

She sighed yet again and kept quiet for some minutes while Mark only stared at her while wondering what could be going on in her mind.

"I still need to sort out my train of thoughts," she finally said after what felt like a lifetime.

Mark bobbed his head.

"I won't press further again but I'll just advise that you think about yourself before anyone else, make yourself happy."

Her face creased into a smile, "I'll do just that."

"Good," he gave her a thumbs up, and she eyed him.

So, do you think Lisha would take to Mark's advice?
Drop your comments and click on that little star before leaving.