chapter 22

"So, what are you doing now?"

Jimi raised his head from his laptop to look at his mom who just walked into his room.

"Working," he replied succinctly, and she sat at the edge of his bed.

"I have no business with your work, what I'm talking about is your life," she enunciated.

Jimi's face dulled, but he still fixed it on his laptop, he knew what Soil was driving at.

"My life is good, I don't have any problem," he replied.

"You do," she deadpanned.

He looked up from his laptop and his gaze fell on Soil who in turn eyed him.

"I have a stable job, a good health and a life people pray to have," he claimed.

Soil raised her chin before chuckling, "But, there's one thing missing," she pointed out.

His face twisted before he turned back to his laptop, "There's none I know of."

Soil scoffed.

"One, you are working today which is still the second day in a new year, two, you have no new year resolution, three you'll be twenty-nine in few days time and you think it's not time to settle down!" She critiqued while raising each hand according to the numbers as she talked.

"Soil, please this is a new year."

"Which makes it time for you to rearrange your life," she alleged before snatching the laptop from him.

"Mom!" Jimi shrieked.

"Good , you know I'm your mother, so, you have to listen to me," she said before standing up to drop the laptop on his working table.

"I always listen to you," he pointed out as he stretched out his legs.

Soil got back to her sitting position before talking, "Well, you haven't done that in the past few years."

He tipped his head to her side, "I know I've always listened to you, even when you instructed me to study International Relations instead of Visual Arts."

"And it's for the better, anyway, I'm not here to discuss that with you, I'm here to talk about your plans to being a responsible man," she proclaimed.

"I've always been a responsible guy," he insisted.

Soil chuckled.

"Back to the question, are you planning to make this year a profitable one or a futile one?"

"My years have always been profitable."

"You know what I'm talking about."

He drew in a long breath before replying, "God, Mom, you need to stop this, I'll get married when I meet the right person."

"E ehn, you're still looking for Miss right, you better turn the wrong person to Miss right my darling son, there's no Miss right anywhere oo" she interjected.

"You always find the answer to everything," he smirked.

Soil fluttered her lashes, "It's because I'm your mother, that aside, so, there's no lady in your life, hope it won't escalate to the extent of washing your head bayii?"

Jimi clasped his hands behind his neck.

"Soil, it's not like I'm forty or sixty, there's still time, it's Kemi that doesn't have time, you should tell her that."

Soil lifted her shoulder in a half shrug, "At least, she has a man in her life and if you aren't aware, I'm going to start planning their wedding next month."