Chapter 27: So Remember when the Titles were Serious?

[Chapter 27: So Remember when the Titles were Serious?]

"Sakura-chan! Megumi!" Naruto yelled in surprise when we approached the group the next morning.

"Hey, guys!" I cheerfully greeted with a small wave. Walking into a halt just a few feet away from them, Sakura stayed silent. Blinking at the sight of him, I tilted my head, "You're here too, Hiro?"

The said Hyuuga had turned his gaze from his cousin to me, rolling his light eyes at my appearance, "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Lady Hokage told me what happened," Shikamaru informed us with hands in his pockets, looking as dead as ever. "Sorry girls but, I can't let you two join." Naruto's head darted towards the Nara with a sharp intake. "Our only role is to persuade Sasuke into coming back. Sakura, your role has ended."

"I know!" Sakura finally spoke up, her pink lowered head now risen. Instead of the canon expression of tears and anguish in her facial features, she instead held a smile filled with bitterness. I smiled, noticing the force of it immediately. You're really trying to change, aren't you? "I'm..." incomes a deep breath, "We're just here to say good luck."

"Yup!" I added with a small giggle, stepping up to embrace the short blond into a hug. The boy stumbled, a few quick steps back before his posture relaxed, his arms wrapping around my body tightly. Pulling back slightly, I graced him with a smile, "Good luck, you cutie patootie!"

The fox-like child glanced up at me, his face contorting one of bitter dejection. I felt my brows go downwards at the sight of that expression, no, not the sunshine! Naruto then reluctantly pulled away from my hug, grinning as if to hide away his sorrow, "Don't worry, Megumi! I'll bring back that Teme— that's a promise, dattebayo!" He declared a thumbs up in the air.

I only smiled, my hands behind my back as I eyed him with adoration, "I know you will." And it's true: he did, in the end, bring him back.

Turning away from the sunshine-incarnate, I skipped my way to my next vic— I mean, my next friend! Skidding to a shortstop, I ruffled a fuzzy head gleefully, "Good luck Akamaru, stay safe!"

"Oi," I came to the voice under the happy and wagging dog. "How come I don't get anything, Megumi-chan?" Moving my sight down, I covered my mouth to sniffle a giggle at Kiba, who furrowed his brows in what seemed to be slight envy.

"Awww, Kiba, don't be like that!" I assured him, sliding my arms for a quick hug. The Inuzaka happily gave it back, his dog on the top of his head leaning down to nuzzle onto mine. "You stay safe too!"

I looked over to Shikamaru who was next to the boy. "You as well!" The raven-head just nodded his head, probably finding it too bothersome to verbally reply back. I giggled.

Releasing from Kiba's hold, I then moved towards Neji, who was now chatting with Lee. I held a hand out to him, "Good luck out there!" We weren't friends yet so I felt like if I hugged him he might've gentle-fisted my stomach into oblivion.

Turning away from the usually cheery Lee, the older Hyuuga just stared at me with a blank look. "...you're the girl that always snuck in the compound."

I blinked, "Ehhhhh? Is that what I'm remembered for?" I reeled and held my hands behind my back, leaning in with puffed cheeks, "We literally saw each other a week ago!"

"Megumi-chan, you snuck into the Hyuuga compound?!" Lee inquired with a slack jaw and wide eyes. "You must have extraordinary skills in stealth!"

I giggled, waving my hand as if to shoo the comment off. "Well," I started to explain cheekily, "When you spend years with Naruto, you tend to pick up on things." Have you seen that fucker— he's zooming through like it's nobody's business!