Chapter 28: Smile, You're gonna Need it!

[Chapter 28: Smile, you're gonna need it!]

"Otou-san," I said to Fugaku who was scribbling away on his desk. It was just another day for him: even at home, he's just cooped up in his room and just working. It was only today that I decided to just hang out here instead of messing with Sasuke or my friends. Where I was sitting, I placed my index finger on my chin. "Can I say something?"

"Make it quick." There was a slightly rushed tone in his voice, probably due to all the stress of the police work. Fucking Madara and Danzo, fucking everything up with their bullshit.

I hummed, thumbing my fingertips against my lap, I have permission to raise all hell. "You're a bad dad."

His posture tended, his own strokes halting as he darted his familiar eyes at me. "What came with this?" He demanded though it seemed he wasn't particularly angry, nice.

I giggled, "Lemme explain." I assured him with a dismissing way. I tilted my head in my chair, as if in thought. "You're not really the best dad to Sasuke." I took an exhale, twirling a pencil I was using for my homework that was settled on the coffee table. "You're busy all the time, being head chief and all. But even then, you always focus on Nii." I focused my attention back on the older male. "It makes him a sad little ducking."

He let out a low hum, the pen in his hands now on his desk. "And you?"

I glanced away, albeit a bit surprised. I kinda forgot I was in this family for a sec. "...I don't really care." I told him. There led to another silence. But, that was fine, I didn't expect him to converse with me again, he was busy, after all.

"Megumi," I perked up at the mention of my name. "...What do you and Sasuke want for your birthday?"

I blinked, humming once more in thought. I then clapped my hands. "I don't really care, and I doubt Sasuke would be mad about any gift from you but," There came my dramatic gasp full of realization. "It would be nice to have some plushies!"

Weeks later, on our birthday, we were gifted with Dino plushies.

(◦ˇ ˇ◦)

In front of the mirror, I experimented with my face.

I giggled and giggled some more. But despite how it sounded, they did not sound eerie. It was as if I was trying to imitate an innocent girl.

The ends of my lips stretched wide, wider as I continued to laugh humorlessly. After they stretched to a reasonable length, I then squinted my eyes, but only for a tiny bit.

Squish them together with a little more and boom! Eye wrinkles! I twirled myself around in that tiny bathroom, the balls of my feet facing around like a bubbly and careless child, albeit a bit feverishly.

Ah, gotta make sure there's a certain light in my eyes! Skidding to a stop, I checked the mirror again, to see if there were any mistakes. Nope! Nope at all!
I clapped my hands together— I'm done!

('_`人)

"When was the last time you were in the hospital?" I asked from the chair that was next to his bed.

"Since the chunin exams, technically," Hiro replied, turning a page in a random book (when was the last time I read a book?) as he shifted his legs under his covers. It was daylight and I had just finished with checking on Naruto. So now, we were just hanging out in his room. "I ended up having to help the injured civilians."

I hummed, so that's why I didn't see him in the invasion. Deciding to change the topic as I played with his blanket. I should've brought a book. "So, who did you end up fighting?" Came to my question, referring to the Sound 5.